Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407HDI 1.6 Diesel.

Options
  • 15-08-2011 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Helping someone close to me to buy a secondhand diesel with a budget of circa 5k.

Saw one or two 407 HDI Diesels with about 100k miles on them and wondered if they would be a decent buy? Anything to watch out for on these engines/cars?

I assume its the same engine in the 307 and in the Citroen C5? The smaller engine size is also attractie from a tax and insurance perspective.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

golfbgud wrote: »
    Hi All,

Helping someone close to me to buy a secondhand diesel with a budget of circa 5k.

Saw one or two 407 HDI Diesels with about 100k miles on them and wondered if they would be a decent buy? Anything to watch out for on these engines/cars?

I assume its the same engine in the 307 and in the Citroen C5? The smaller engine size is also attractie from a tax and insurance perspective.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks.
    Being honest. I have a 407 1.6 at home and I wouldn't recommend one to anyone. Besides the fact they are a bit under powered for my liking, they are noisy and rattly at most speeds, the electrics are terrible aswell
    so I'd say if you really want to go for one then things to watch out for are
    electrics, electrics and more electrics. Always the main point with a peugeot.
    Watch the particle filter has been topped up with oil as well think it has to be done after 70-80000k. Can lead to expensive repairs if it hasn't as most case scenario the DPF may have to be replaced. As far as I remember the last time i had our one filled with oil it cost a couple of hundred.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056140274
    Thread from awhile back about 407's mite get some useful info from it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I have one and it has been very reliable Tbh.
    Things to look out for @100 k mls...

1)lower balljoints do fail on them...grab the top of both front wheels and give them a fast/hard push/pull...if you can feel/hear a slight knocking then the balljoints maybe on the way out
    2)Check to see if the dpf additive has been topped up and ask if the dpf (diesel particle filter) was replaced.
    3)Like all modern diesels dual mass flywheels may need to be replaced from
    110k mls onwards
    Best of look..;)

Also some more info here...
    http://www.407owners.com/forums/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Portal

A friend of mine owns a 2007 407 and he says they have problems with the ECU, thats all I know really...

Portal wrote: »
    A friend of mine owns a 2007 407 and he says they have problems with the ECU, thats all I know really...

Tbh i have never seen one with ecu problems...Maybe he powerwashed the engine which is a no no with modern cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

cozzie55 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056140274
    Thread from awhile back about 407's mite get some useful info from it

Hmmmm - lot's of reliable info in there. Think I'm looking elsewhere already!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Thanks for the replies everyone - I'm thinking 1.6 Ford Focus Diesel now. Dont need the hassle of electrics etc.

Other contenders are the VW's 1.9 TDI's (Golf/Passat etc). Steering clear of the early 2005/2006 B6 models though.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

golfbgud wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone - I'm thinking 1.6 Ford Focus Diesel now. Dont need the hassle of electrics etc.

Don't go near the 1.6tdci focus. I just sold mine yesterday, I had it for just over a year, loved it. Turbo went in April, something to do with carbon build up in the engine. It had 104k on it. My uncle (mechanic) contacted Ford, he got all the parts, flushed the whole engine, changed seals, got new turbo, water pumps etc etc basically did everything Ford said to do and more. Went great for about three months (6k miles) and it went again a month ago. Changed the oil after 40 miles then again after 100 etc. I spent €1500 fixing it the first time. It broke my heart and my pocket, I just sold it to a garage, couldn't spend any more money fixing it.
    A guy I work with has a 2007 1.6tdci and the same thing happened to him three weeks ago.
    Google turbo problems in 1.6tdci focus and you will see them all.
    I have since gone back to a 1.8tdci focus, more reliable engine! You can get these up to the 05 model old shape.
    Just a bit of advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

The diesel 407 1.6HDI is the same engine as the Focus 1.6TDCI in case OP doesn't realise

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ash_18x

I don't think it gives as much trouble in the peugeot though, something about different filters or something because API performance in Dublin told my granddad to solve it by putting in a citroen 1.6 hdi engine. This is the same engine too and they are in the 07 mini 1.6 diesels too.

• Advertisement

I have seen these (1.6 hdi/tdci) engines getting up to 160k mls with no major
    problems..But..they do need regular servicing and the correct grade of oil used...Don't go by the 20k km service intervals that is recommened for these..better change oil and filter every 15k km or less is possible and use a good grade of fully syn 5w 30 oil.
    If its the 110bhp engine then use fully syn 5w 30 low ash content/dpf friendly...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Row are the flywheels on these the same as the focus flywheels? I've only replaced one of them I think, they are pretty good on flywheels even those with high mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

We have a 06 1.6TDCI focus (now 92k, 110hp UK import). Brilliant car, huge spec and the only thing ever to go wrong was the EGR valve stuck closed late09 . 1hrs work of cleaning it out/freeing it and ZERO other problems.

Dreading the curse of all modern diesels in the next 1-2 years: The DMF

Plug wrote: »
    Row are the flywheels on these the same as the focus flywheels? I've only replaced one of them I think, they are pretty good on flywheels even those with high mileage.

The flywheels on the 407's tend to make chirping/squealing noise when the clutch is engaged but this can last for 40-50k mls.
    They can fail from 100k mls + but some can last up till 130k mls.
    The can be awkward to do as the dpf needs to be removed to gain access to one of the gearbox bolts....:rolleyes:
    You could always kill two birds with the one stone and powerwash/dry well the dpf while its out...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Ford DMF in the Focus is pretty strong, and infinitely better than that fitted in the Mondeo.

Advertisement