Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Wildfire S, micro sdhc?

Options
  • 15-08-2011 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

For my budget this seems to be the best android but the real clincher for me is storage space so can anyone confirm that it supports micro sdhc cards, I've tried searching the net but can't find anything conclusive. Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mine came with a 2GB card. It says micro SD...not sure about support for SDHC, specifically. I'm on Vodafone PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Well from a brief search SDHC = SD 2.0 = SD cards with storage of 4-32GB

According HTC product spec page it is SD 2.0 compatible

The Sony Ericsson Experia Neo is a bit more expensive, but much better specced and comes with a 8GB MicroSDHC card in the box (if you can stretch a bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

For my budget this seems to be the best android but the real clincher for me is storage space so can anyone confirm that it supports micro sdhc cards, I've tried searching the net but can't find anything conclusive. Thanks!

It does indeed, have an 8gb in mine. If you get a larger 16/32gb make sure it's a class 6+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

Ian Beale wrote: »
    It does indeed, have an 8gb in mine. If you get a larger 16/32gb make sure it's a class 6+

Cheers mate, on a side note would you recommend it? The phone that is! Oh and does it have a full internet browser or does it not run certain things?

Zagato wrote: »
    Well from a brief search SDHC = SD 2.0 = SD cards with storage of 4-32GB

According HTC product spec page it is SD 2.0 compatible

The Sony Ericsson Experia Neo is a bit more expensive, but much better specced and comes with a 8GB MicroSDHC card in the box (if you can stretch a bit)

Thanks I'll check that one out

• Advertisement

Cheers mate, on a side note would you recommend it? The phone that is! Oh and does it have a full internet browser or does it not run certain things?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I would highly recommend it, it's not to big and it's not to small. Battery life is fine, I was worried about that the most from the reviews I read but it's grand. The build quality is very good too. The only thing it doesn't have is full flash. It only has flash lite but that plays youtube videos perfectly, only thing you can't do is play flash games.

The internet browser itself is easy to use and you can double tap to zoom in and it'll automatically shuffle the text around so you can just keep scrolling down to read it. Overall though for the price it's good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I would highly recommend it, it's not to big and it's not to small. Battery life is fine, I was worried about that the most from the reviews I read but it's grand. The build quality is very good too. The only thing it doesn't have is full flash. It only has flash lite but that plays youtube videos perfectly, only thing you can't do is play flash games.

The internet browser itself is easy to use and you can double tap to zoom in and it'll automatically shuffle the text around so you can just keep scrolling down to read it. Overall though for the price it's good value.

Ah great thanks a lot mate, just one thing when u say that it doesnt play flash games does that mean it wont play flash online games and will still play any app games?

Ah great thanks a lot mate, just one thing when u say that it doesnt play flash games does that mean it wont play flash online games and will still play any app games?

Won't play online flash games, say from miniclip or addictinggames. Plays apps fine though, on some of the more graphically heavy games it can stutter but the likes of angry birds it plays fine.

Won't play online flash games, say from miniclip or addictinggames. Plays apps fine though, on some of the more graphically heavy games it can stutter but the likes of angry birds it plays fine.

Good stuff, thanks a bunch for all that info.

• Advertisement

Well that seems like not very much, all wildfire s models should have 512MB but that has to store the operating system and any applications pre-installed. If you root it you can remove the vodafone bloatware, or install a custom ROM (which won't have any vodafone crap) and will also be lighter by reducing some of HTC's applications or even all of Sense, leaving you with vanilla

Preface: I do not have a wildfire s, nor have I ever played with one.

It is pretty tricky to root the Wildfire S mainly because HTC have locked the bootloader, the phone is S-On (meaning you can't write to the NAND part of the Flash drive) and needs to be rendered S-Off before you can install a custom recovery, and subsequently root.

It is certainly not impossible, but requires an XTC Clip which apparently costs about $100. However it sounds like there is a Boardsie in Dublin who has one and is willing to help people out for a small fee (link to thread)

So rooting would allow you to remove some of the stock apps you don't need, but I imagine that given it is so difficult to root that it is not going to receive an awful lot of love from developers who will be creating the custom ROMs.

I would suggest you have a look yourself and see what custom ROMs are available and what reviews they get, to see if it would be of benefit to you, before you pay to get it rooted

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cianm

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Beware!!!

I just got a 16g SDHC Sandisk card from ebay, and it wont work in the phone. The seller is trying to tell me the phone is not compatible with HC.

Interestingly the card is ok on the pc and the camera.

I have a Dane 8g SDHC and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

jamesbil wrote: »
    Beware!!!

I just got a 16g SDHC Sandisk card from ebay, and it wont work in the phone. The seller is trying to tell me the phone is not compatible with HC.

Interestingly the card is ok on the pc and the camera.

I have a Dane 8g SDHC and its fine.

I call bull****, my class 2 8gb micro sdhc works fine, its split in 3 ways, 1gb ext partition, 512mb Linux partition and the rest fat 32....

Fieldog wrote: »
    I call bull****.

Agreed, my class 4 sandisk micro sdhc works just fine.

• Advertisement

But why would the 16g card work in the pc and camera?

But why would the 16g card work in the pc and camera?

Try sticking it in the sd slot on your pc/laptop if ya have one and format it to fat 32 with Panasonic sd format tool, I'm on my phone, Google it, should be good to go then, some sd cards are finicky yokes when used in phones....

ok tried that, formatted it every way and still no good, tho it does work in pc.

ok tried that, formatted it every way and still no good, tho it does work in pc.

I know this sounds weird! Try putting it in someone else's Android phone! Or any phone at all, even an old smart Nokia -

I had a similar issue with mine not being recognised in my phone, put it in my missus phone, then back into mine and off it went, its actually an Android thing apparently, not just our Handset

ok, just tried it im my old samsung, not a smart, seems to work ok.

Advertisement