Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giant Cheetah found in Georgia

Options
  • 15-08-2011 8:51pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Remains of a Giant Cheetah (Acinonyx pardinensis) have been found in Dmanisi, in the Republic of Georgia, for the first time.
    Although it's not a new species, its the first time its fossils are found in this site/country, although fossils of two sabertoothed cats (Megantereon and Homotherium) had been found in Dmanisi before.
    pardinensis.jpg

(Acinonyx pardiniensis, background, compared to living cheetah)

According to the article, Giant Cheetah kills may have provided free meals for scavengers including Homo erectus, which also lived in that region about 1.8 million years ago. Whether the cat preyed on the hominid once in a while is open to debate.

http://www.livescience.com/15558-largest-cheetah-lived-killed-ancient-humans.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

To be honest, I think they use the word 'giant' here quite loosely. He's not giant par sé, more like 'uncharacteristically large'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    To be honest, I think they use the word 'giant' here quite loosely. He's not giant par sé, more like 'uncharacteristically large'.

Haha what did u expect? A T-Rex sized cat?

... on second thought, its an awesome idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Compared to the modern day version it is a giant. Roughly twice the size and probably had a weight that doubled it's modern day counterpart.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

When I read 'giant cheetah' I'm thinking of something the size of a lion. This guy is just plus sized.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

When I read 'giant cheetah' I'm thinking of something the size of a lion. This guy is just plus sized.

Well it IS the size of a lioness, and probably was taller...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

For a cheetah that is a giant. I'm sure a modern cheetah would look at this guy and say "Damn you are big".

Advertisement