Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is selling second hand pc games allowed?

Options
  • 15-08-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

in Ireland are you legally allowed to sell used pc games , because you can buy some off amazon.uk
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

When you buy an item , you become the owner . It is your property .

Therfore you are entitled to sell it on.

Just ensure that when selling , ensure you advertise the item exactly as it is .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

but when you buy a game the companys say , your renting a licenses to use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Considering that there are multiple retail stores selling secondhand console games I don't see a problem.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not a problem unless the game has been linked to your Steam/EA account. It cannot be sold on if they have been as they're linked to YOUR account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

With regards to PC Games it comes down to a serial number, which most PC Games have these days. If the serial number has already been registered with the parent company, such as EA or Ubisoft, then that serial number is linked to a specific account. If you cant access that account then you will not be able to play the game.

Generally PC Games are not sold second hand because you won't know if the serial number has been used until you get home and install it and try to play.

Legally, a person can sell a PC Game on to another person, the physical object (that being a disc and manual) becomes your property, the licensing agreement transfers from one owner to the next. But the contentious issue lies with the serial number. Whoever has that serial number registered to their account pretty much owns every aspect of the game, irrespective of whether or not they are in possession of the disc and manual.

Short answer: Do not buy a second hand PC Game, because you won't know if you can play it or not until AFTER you handed over the cash.

Some exceptions would lie with much older PC games, mostly single-player ones which have no online component. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic would be an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I never saw 2nd hand pc games for sale in any shops until i went to Britain where you could buy them in stores like CEX
    We now have a CEX and they sell 2nd hand games but tbh the best way to buy 2nd hand games is online like adverts.ie as you then have contact with the seller if there is a problem
    I once bought a game off someone on adverts, F.E.A.R. 2 i think and it turned out that it was tied to a steam account so fortunately enough the guy only had that game on his account so he handed it over to me
    Caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

i thought they were illegal to sell here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

yes,it is illegal here ,you may try some second hand market to sell ur products...

Advertisement