Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to apply for jobs in the UK

Options
  • 15-08-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭

Over the last few months I have been applying for construction manager / foreman jobs in the UK.With each CV that I have sent out I have included a cover note saying that I would be moving to the uk for work and would be taking accommodation near the work area.

I have applied for the jobs through UK online job sites but I am getting nowhere. One company mailed me back to say that they are looking for someone local but that is the only response I've had. I have had my CV checked over by a few former colleagues who used to be in a position to hire and fire and they have said that it looks good relevant to the jobs I am applying for.

I am pretty sure that I am not getting responses because I live in Ireland.Does anyone have any advice of what I can do to get past the CV stage with potential employers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Have you any family in the Uk who's address you could use on the cv?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I do but I don't have a national insurance number and also I would intend to travel home at least twice a month and would then have to explain to the job that in fact I don't live there..

Does anyone know of any Irish recruitment agencies that help you get work in the uk?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

you will have to apply from uk,have you got an engineering degree,also look at new zealand christchurchthey are hiring,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

you will have to apply from uk,have you got an engineering degree,also look at new zealand christchurchthey are hiring,

Think twice about New Zealand , check out this RTE item , seems stories of Irish builders wanted have been overstated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Delancey wrote: »
    Think twice about New Zealand , check out this RTE item , seems stories of Irish builders wanted have been overstated.

Doesn't stop people going over on an under 30 work visa and getting a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Employers don't look favourably on candidates who aren't living in the country. I know you'll have people posting here saying 'I got a job from Ireland' and I'm sure it does happen occasionally, but from my own experience you're at the bottom of the list if you're on it at all when you live here and are applying for work over there.

As someone else said, do you have a relative/friend whose address you could put on your cv? Or at least a UK mobile number and maybe leave the address off the cv altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

scwazrh wrote: »
    I do but I don't have a national insurance number and also I would intend to travel home at least twice a month and would then have to explain to the job that in fact I don't live there..

NI numbers are easy enough to get. I stayed with my cousin the first 2 weeks when i moved to London and my NI number is still registered at that address, makes zero difference. Tell the employer that your living at your contacts address short term.

As regards travelling home twice a month, unless you have a wife/kids back in Ireland you will find yourself travelling home less and less as the months go on. The Friday to Sunday weekend is a serious drag and not worth the hassle imo. No. 1 tip would be get a UK bank account sorted asap, you need a statement from your irish bank with a UK address on it, assuming you get a job of course.

Best of luck and shout if you have any questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Hi,

Dont know if it helps, but i have a couple of similar jobs offered from O'Neill and brennan. was in contact with them before and they seemed to be able to help. not sure if you have tried them before, but i found them helpful. got offered a few jobs over there but have family here and not a great time to move. Ardmore , who are doing a lot of work with the olmpyics also have a few days a year where they come here to meet irish workers. again not sure how helpful it is .

hope it goes well for you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Cheers for everyones comments and to allibastor for the suggestions of where else to look.

As most of you have said I think I'll have to go down the route of using a UK address and get a uk mobile phone number .I do have wife & kids here so I will need to come back and fourth at least twice a month. How this will work in practice remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

no chance just to pack up and head for canada? would be a good place to go. its a balls having to move for work.

dont know if you have experience in the work, but windfarms and district heating projects are being green lighted soon for work to begin. not sure if you can get into them but there should be work there for a while if you can get in. try dublin council as they have a big project on in the dock lands area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Doubt it:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-zealand-construction-jobs-irish-need-not-apply-yet-2848436.html

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The Niece

Hi - just to give my 2c on this, however much it's worth

I was living in England, trying to find a job in Ireland - my impression was that a lot of employers were thinking that I wanted to re-locate (and hence, be provided with a relocation package or anything like that) when all I really wanted to do was move home. So I stopped mentioning my 'current location' and gave all Irish (home) addresses and Irish mobiles - got a lot more interest after that.

In terms of moving to England and getting a NI number - I got an NI number easily enough once I had the job, and the bank account is easy enough too - I switched over to an Irish address after a year (bank requirements for the account) and used to commute weekly, crappy travel but do-able. You will have to check what the story is with taxation etc. though - I had to declare my home address a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Delancey wrote: »

Yes, it was over-stated.

But there are lots of genuine vacancies for qualified tradespeople (not labourers), and genuine plans to fast-track bringing them up to speed with local building requriements and getting registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ainemaira

Hi
    I know this may be off the mark but I am in also in a similar situation where I am looking into re locating in the UK. I studied in the midlands in the UK a while back,and from that ,gained a BSc [Hons] Animal Management.
    Just need some advise really from anyone who has been in the exact situation as myself, I would rather not move over until I have a job in the UK , however could I get away with using a family members' UK address on my CV when applying for positions in the UK? I have already applied for some jobs using my irish address and have received some good responses. I have experience in the animal industry from work from in the UK while I was studying, and also here, and feels that since my degree is an english qualification , I think I have a good chance of getting employment over there?! Correct if I am wrong in saying that.
    Funny enough, I still have my bank account open from when I was student there, so it would be handy when I go back over. If some one can help me out in terms on what right path to take in applying for jobs in the UK, I would really appreciate it...........It would be either that or head to Australia or NZ for a year some time next year - if worse comes to worse but personally I would prefer moving to UK and job wise for me its a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mitch31

ainemaira wrote: »
    Hi
    I know this may be off the mark but I am in also in a similar situation where I am looking into re locating in the UK. I studied in the midlands in the UK a while back,and from that ,gained a BSc [Hons] Animal Management.
    Just need some advise really from anyone who has been in the exact situation as myself, I would rather not move over until I have a job in the UK , however could I get away with using a family members' UK address on my CV when applying for positions in the UK? I have already applied for some jobs using my irish address and have received some good responses. I have experience in the animal industry from work from in the UK while I was studying, and also here, and feels that since my degree is an english qualification , I think I have a good chance of getting employment over there?! Correct if I am wrong in saying that.
    Funny enough, I still have my bank account open from when I was student there, so it would be handy when I go back over. If some one can help me out in terms on what right path to take in applying for jobs in the UK, I would really appreciate it...........It would be either that or head to Australia or NZ for a year some time next year - if worse comes to worse but personally I would prefer moving to UK and job wise for me its a better option.

Which sector are you qualified in? I am qualified in Vet Nursing, Behavorial, grooming and mainly obedience training, with a masters obtained in the UK. I also found it very hard to find animal related work in Ireland and UK. Any good paying jobs are given to people who have years and years of experience behind them. I had few interviews but no success only kennel kind of work which is really more suited to a student or beginner because the wages are not sustainable. UK is definitely better than Ireland but as the same with any employer they will give the work to a UK person first, Im not saying this is the case for every job but with regards to animal work unfortunately it is the case because there are 1000s of freshly graduated UK-ers dying to get some work. I know this because I've had several meetings with UK recruiters and they basically told me to concentrate on finding volunteer work within Ireland and work my way up. This is fine if you have the money to do so but I don't :(
    Moved to NZ last year but again could not find animal work, well found a few but wages were not good so I wouldn't have been able to pay rent :0
    So finally moved to the land down under (oz). I've basically had my pick of jobs, they are very animal centric where I am based. Wages are great and I finally found a job I love. Currently in the middle of getting sponsored so hopefully it will all work out. It means I will have to stay with my employer for a few years though but I don't mind as the job is in animal welfare so happy days.
    So thats been my journey so far with regards animal work. I don't know what age you are or family circumstances but maybe consider going further a field than UK if you want a good job in animal work. Or if you have the funds I highly recommend volunteering and build up a few years of experience in a specific area and bob's your uncle. If you want PM and I can sent you information on the company I work for and others. Best of luck with it, I know how frustrating it can be but keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ainemaira

HI
    Thanks very much for replying back to me , very much appreciate it! Well the thing is with my qualification is that it is very generalized! So I can go further a field and do vet nursing, behaviorism , zoos,etc. But I don't want to go back to college AGAIN. I am very much considering Australia but can not go until sometime late next year. I am 29 so I should hurry up a bit with it ! I don't know if you know this, but would it be possible for companies such as the one you work for [just an example I am giving] could sponsor someone to go over there for work?! I know its a bit out there but I thought it was worth askng..... Were you able to get the job within the first year? The thing is that i want to make sure I am going to the right region where the work my qualifications will be! But I would appreciate if you can pass on information on the company you work for and others , that would be great!
    Do you want my email address?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mitch31

Ill private message you :)

Advertisement