Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Lawnmower Won't Start - Worth Getting Repaired?

Options
  • 15-08-2011 3:55pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm renting and the house came with a brand new Flymo Turbolite 330, an electric lawn-mower. This was just over a year ago. Every now and then it wouldn't start but usually it would work on the second go and, in total, I maybe used it 10 times.
    I normally used the blade on the lowest setting but the grass wasn't that tall so I don't think I punished the engine particularly.

Now it fails to start at all - I got one go recently after which it stopped working. There's no response at all but, since it did work intermittently before, it's not likely to be anything as simple as a fuse and, popping it open, there's nothing obvious like a loose wire.

Is it now worth trying to get it repaired? A new one seems to be around €120 and I imagine servicing costs aren't cheap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

ixoy wrote: »
    I'm renting and the house came with a brand new Flymo Turbolite 330, an electric lawn-mower. This was just over a year ago. Every now and then it wouldn't start but usually it would work on the second go and, in total, I maybe used it 10 times.
    I normally used the blade on the lowest setting but the grass wasn't that tall so I don't think I punished the engine particularly.

Now it fails to start at all - I got one go recently after which it stopped working. There's no response at all but, since it did work intermittently before, it's not likely to be anything as simple as a fuse and, popping it open, there's nothing obvious like a loose wire.

Is it now worth trying to get it repaired? A new one seems to be around €120 and I imagine servicing costs aren't cheap.

Not meaning to state the obvious but If you are renting, surely it's the landlord's responsibility.
    Any smoke or smells before it stopped working? It could be a break in the cable caused by a tight kink or the cut off button might be faulty, unlikely to be brushes after such light use. I'm sure most repairers would give an estimate of cost for free. If you are not comfortable around electrics then don't dismantle.

Advertisement