Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to stop - How did you stop

Options
  • 15-08-2011 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

I want to give up drinking, im sick of feeling sick tired and irritable. Im scared that i cant do it. How did you all do it

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

My drinking habits were borderling troublesome. I was getting there to be honest. One night I went out to have a few and with no one to set a pace, I went over board. Needless to say, I got a bit too drunk and abusive. Excuse the pun, but I had a very sobering experience when I spent the remainder of the night in a cell.

I realise that my actions were totally uncalled for and completely stupid. So from that night fourth, I never touched another drop. That was xmas 2008 and I still haven't had a drink.

I can not provide you with a solution chubbs, but in my experience I stopped dead. I then found something I enjoyed to focus my attention. It took time to get over the feelings of agitation and irritability, as well as the occasional urge to go out on the town with friends. If drink is becoming a real issue for you, there is absolutely no shame in attending an AA meeting and annominity is assured. You could drop into your local citizens information office to find a local meeting and to focus yourself, you could take up some hobbies. Even try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I did the same as ItsThatManAgain,stopped dead.I didn't have a major problem but its always going to get worse when you hear your father reasoning with someone saying "Sure wouldn't it be worse if he was on drugs".
    What started out as a bet/dare on St Stephens day 2009 of who could stay off the drink in the new year the longest has continued to this day.And I can't see it changing in the near future anyways.
    I'm not going to lie and say it was easy,it was not.For 3months afterwards I got cravings for drink/feeling drunk/going out/hangovers and couldn't go near a bar.Then it was like turning a corner being able to go into a bar and ordering a pint of water and not feel uncomfortable doing so.
    The biggest thing for me was people saying ah sure go on have just one,it wont do any harm.I can go out now and enjoy myself and everyone knows I dont drink so dont pester me into having "Just one".
    And another good thing is I didn't become an anti drink nazi:D

I hope you succeed and enjoy the joys of not having drink in the system.It's worth having a look at both sides of the coin at least.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

alternatively if you can't be man enough to handle your drink you could always chop off your knob! :P

but seriously, go to aa, detach yourself from your drinking mates and dedicate yourself to sobriety. it's the only way

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

I think its right to say the only way is to stop dead, mine was a sunday night after 2 bottles of Jameson. that was the end of a week of insane drinking. I dont work in an off licence anymore and I didnt want to after the first few months when I seen what damage people go through to get a drink. theres something sickening about serving someone vodka at 10 30 in the morning. seeing them driving there kids around to the shop to buy booze that makes you think will that be me in ten years.
    I wont even go in to the ins and outs of the disscussions I have seen about serving drunk people lets just leave it at "the rich will keep getting richer" off the backs of the poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't know whether this is allowed ?? ,but it might help in the ongoing fight with the questions your drinking mind keeps throwing at you

JUNKIE THINKING: One drink won't hurt.
    RESPONSE: One drink will always hurt me, and it always will because I'm not a social drinker. One sip and I'll be drinking compulsively again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I only want one.
    RESPONSE: I have never wanted only one. In fact, I want 5 or 10 or 15 every day. I want them all.

JUNKIE THINKING: I’ll just be a social drinker.
    RESPONSE: I’m a chronic, compulsive drinker, and once I drink one I’ll quickly be thinking about the next one. Social drinkers can take it or leave it. That’s not me.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now.
    RESPONSE: The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore, I'll be drinking again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'll just stop again.
    RESPONSE: Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it took me to stop this time? And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?

JUNKIE THINKING: If I slip, I'll keep trying.
    RESPONSE: If I think I can get away with one little "slip" now, I'll think I can get away with another little slip later on.

JUNKIE THINKING: I need one to get me through this withdrawal.
    RESPONSE: Drinking will not get me through the discomfort of not drinking. It will only get me back to drinking. One sip stops the process of withdrawal and I'll have to go through it all over again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I miss drinking right now.
    RESPONSE: Of course I miss something I've been doing every day for most of my life. But do I miss the pain of drinking right now? Do I miss the worry, the embarrassment? I'd rather be an ex-drinker with an occasional desire to drink, than a drinker with a constant desire to stop doing it.

JUNKIE THINKING: I really need to drink now. I'm so upset.
    RESPONSE: Drinking is not going to fix anything. I'll still be upset; I'll just be an upset drunk. I never have to have a drink. Drinking alcohol is not a need, it's a want. Once the crisis is over, I'll be relieved and grateful I'm still not drinking.

JUNKIE THINKING: I don't care.
    RESPONSE: WHAT IS IT EXACTLY THAT I THINK I DON'T CARE ABOUT? Can I truthfully say I don't care about my pain? I don't care about having a hangover in the morning? I don't care about what I'm doing to my liver, lungs, kidney, and heart? I don’t care about all the people I've hurt. No, I care about these things very much. That's why I stopped drinking in the first place.

JUNKIE THINKING: What difference does it make, anyway?
    RESPONSE: It makes a difference in the way I live, the way my heart beats, the way I feel about myself. It makes a tremendous difference in every aspect of my physical and emotional health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 ChattyChick

What I learned was that I had ignored my own inner voice for years. Long before I stopped drinking I knew I HAD to stop drinking but because I surrounded myself with drinkers I convinced myself I was normal.

One night something happened that really could have ruined the rest of my life. It would never have happened had I been sober and it was the boot up the proverbial that I needed. I'd had my last drink.

I can honestly say I haven't looked back. Yes, I had a hard time with it because I was only 24 at the time but all I had to do was look at my own family to know where I was headed. I didn't allow myself to think in terms of forever, just made a decision that TODAY I wouldn't have a drink. Somehow, nearly 10 years have slipped by and it was the best decision I ever made. Never say never but so far go good.

If you know you have stop, you'll find the strength in yourself to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I got absolutely **** faced last night. It was a work night out. I snapped out of it at 6am this morning in some guy's yard not knowing where I was. Serious bit of realisation there, and it's the kick in the balls I badly needed. Never, ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I've had plenty of those mornings where I was mortified at the thoughts of the bits I remember (humiliating crying scenes, betraying confidences, unnecessary agressive behaviour or worse, flirting with people I wouldn't touch with a barge pole when sober) and terrified of those I didn't.

Or how about a friend telling me she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and the next time I saw her I couldn't remember that she'd told me.

People say drinking is just 'sociable' or harmless, but when you end up doing things you are really, truly ashamed of, then it's time to take a long hard look at what being sociable actually means.

Just sayin' ...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

I did the same as ItsThatManAgain,stopped dead.I didn't have a major problem but its always going to get worse when you hear your father reasoning with someone saying "Sure wouldn't it be worse if he was on drugs".
    What started out as a bet/dare on St Stephens day 2009 of who could stay off the drink in the new year the longest has continued to this day.And I can't see it changing in the near future anyways.
    I'm not going to lie and say it was easy,it was not.For 3months afterwards I got cravings for drink/feeling drunk/going out/hangovers and couldn't go near a bar.Then it was like turning a corner being able to go into a bar and ordering a pint of water and not feel uncomfortable doing so.
    The biggest thing for me was people saying ah sure go on have just one,it wont do any harm.I can go out now and enjoy myself and everyone knows I dont drink so dont pester me into having "Just one".
    And another good thing is I didn't become an anti drink nazi:D

I hope you succeed and enjoy the joys of not having drink in the system.It's worth having a look at both sides of the coin at least.:)

Your story sounds so like mine. Just gave it up for a new years resolution and that was 20 months ago. Similar things was said the first few months I went out; ' have one'. All my friends respect my decision now. I couldn't be happier :-) I'm a very proud 26 who doesn't drink. I still love going out and having the craic. I was in a pub all day today watching the Gaa! I recommend this road to anyone thinking of doing it. You won't regret it!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I went to my first AA meeting tonight.
    Everything just came to a heed the last few weeks. I ****ed up another relationship with the drink last weekend and just drank all week, blaming her "what a spa" "I was nice the whole time" "blah blah blah" etc.
    I actually ran out of money on Thursday. Still annoyed with her. Couldn't sleep Thursday night, Friday getting irritiable. But thinking about everything. Realising it was me and my ****ing drinking again. Managed to fall asleep like 5am sat morning and slept till 4pm that afternoon.

Felt better. So very almost went to the offie. Instead i decided to check AA times in my area. Realised that the meetings are just across the road from me.

Went in. Got a lot of attention cause I was the "newcomer". Listened to the stories. Nice bunch of people there. I'll probably go back again.

I've had to borrow to make rent last 2 months, I've literally been drinking every day.

I don't even enjoy the ****ing stuff. Just wanted something "to help me sleep". Something to stop me thinking.

I'm hopeful for the future. Tonight I watched super 8. It was brilliant. Normally I'm too ****faced to remember a film or even to put it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Well done Jaytee

You have to hang on in there and remember you will have a lot more to offer a future girlfriend when your sober than when your drunk.

Movies are good what I like to do too is to watch a whole series of tv shows all the ones I missed from drinking keeps me pretty busy.

Now to focus on getting better and getting your life on track maybe make a plan to pay back the rent and clear your debts by x time and then work on a nice treat for yourself, my first treat is going to be a giant tv one thats nearly the size of the wall.
    And remember theres always a meeting on somewhere that wont be too far to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LittleAmy

I emptied whatever wine was left in my fridge down the drain on Tuesday morning (the arses of 3 bottles).

I think something has just clicked in my head. I'm 28 now and have been pretty much 'a party girl' since I was about 16. I partied through my teens and my twenties up to this point.

This will be my first attempt at knocking it on the head and I'm hopeful that I can do it. Last night was my first drink free Thursday in a long time really, as I would normally drink on a Thursday (few glasses of wine), then same on a Friday and usually go out on the lash on a Saturday and sometimes drink all day Sunday then and feel like sh1t Monday to Wednesday.. and repeat.

I guess I'm just sick of it. Drink has been quite a destructive force in my life for as long as I can remember.. My Dad is a recovering alcoholic and it marred many aspects of mine and my Sister's childhood. He's a good man though, and has been dry for about 7 years now, and I’m very proud of him, so I know it can be done.

As a child I detested even the word ‘Alcohol’. It sent my blood cold. It was the cause of all the misery and heartache that my Mother and we experienced. It was the reason we never had any money, why my Mother would sit and cry on her own on a weekend night, why we dreaded ‘special occasions’, the reason I couldn’t concentrate in school because I was so stressed and worried.

Then I hit my teens and I rebelled, and who was there to become my new best friend? You guessed it.

I abandoned that little girl and I took the same beaten track that my Dad and indeed his Dad before him took, and for that I feel truly sad.

Up to now I guess I just kept telling myself I was just having a good time etc.. and for them most part I was. I’ve had some pretty good times, but it’s time to ‘pay the ferryman’ I guess. The darkness has set in. I won’t go into too much detail but I’ve let myself down one too many times in the recent past.

I’ve been browsing this forum for the last few days and I must say it’s given me a lot of inspiration. I spent much of last night reading other peoples stories and I don’t feel so alone in my plight.

I remember as a kid looking at my Dad and thinking “why does he drink when he knows the trouble it’ll cause” it baffled me that all he had to do was not pick up that glass and put it to his lips and life would be so good.

Now I have the power to rescue that little girl from the heartache, and I owe it to her.

So here I go. Wish me luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Good Luck !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snapshots

Good Luck LittleAmy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

LittleAmy wrote: »

I remember as a kid looking at my Dad and thinking “why does he drink when he knows the trouble it’ll cause” it baffled me that all he had to do was not pick up that glass and put it to his lips and life would be so good.

It is 60 years since I had the same thought, sitting by my father's bed, he sipping well watered whiskey whilst trying to avoid the horrors.
    Yes and I went down the same road myself. I wish I had had the good sense to quit aged 28.
    My father was a good man too.

-- How did he lose it? Ned Lambert asked. Liquor, what?
    -- Many a good man's fault, Mr Dedalus said with a sigh.

Paddy Dignam's funeral (June 16th,1904) in Ulysses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭catch me if you can

i was developing a slight problem when my weekend bottle of wine started to peter in to the weekdays too.
    i work full time and am married with a 2 year old. i would have a glass or two of wine 3-4 evenings and a full bottle on sat night. i was always kinda hungover and moody and borderline depressed.
    my mam is an alcoholic.
    i woke up 4 months ago and said enoughs enough i want to be a better more together mother. i want my daughter to be able to depend on me. i want my husband to have sober company in the evenings. He rarely drinks.
    so i quit cold turkey. I havnt drank in 4 months . i feel great and have lost a stone .! my moods good and depression gone. my marriage is even better!
    i dont know where im going with this, as i havent ruled out perhaps drinking on super special occasions like a wedding. but that would be it for me. i am finding it no problem being around people who are drinking in social situations and i even feel sorry for them ! cos i know the next day they feel crap.
    i really believe im a nicer more balanced person even tho its early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Hi,

i have been in and out of AA about 3 or 4 times. but now what happens is i go on a binge for anout 6 months then go off it for a month or 2. every sober period i say im off it for good but it never happens. i havent been at a meeting for about 3 years. havent got the courage to go back since i went back out 3 years ago. any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

18 year old male here going to try and give it up getting into alot of trouble lately it'll be tough as all my mates head out most weekends but it will hopefully be worth it. The hardest part will be when there asking me to head out though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Hi,

i have been in and out of AA about 3 or 4 times. but now what happens is i go on a binge for anout 6 months then go off it for a month or 2. every sober period i say im off it for good but it never happens. i havent been at a meeting for about 3 years. havent got the courage to go back since i went back out 3 years ago. any tips?

Mr morgan you are doing what i would call whiteknuckling,which is what a lot of people do,The thing about giving up or cutting down on alchol is that it is hard work and in most cases willpower alone wont do it,just like dieting you have to mentally want to change,If your serious about it you need to plan and set goals as failing to plan is planing to fail.go back to AA its no big deal take what you want from it as being around like minded people is a good start,goodluck and let us know how you get on.

James__10 wrote: »
    18 year old male here going to try and give it up getting into alot of trouble lately it'll be tough as all my mates head out most weekends but it will hopefully be worth it. The hardest part will be when there asking me to head out though :mad:

James read Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking"easons or any good book store will have it....it maybe a useful tool to help you in this,your very young and fare play to you for becoming aware that alcohol is causing you some problems, a lot of people dont relaise what alcohol abuse is doing to there lifes and there families untill the crap really hits the fan,me being one of them people.keep posting and letting us know how your getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

realies wrote: »
    Mr morgan you are doing what i would call whiteknuckling,which is what a lot of people do,The thing about giving up or cutting down on alchol is that it is hard work and in most cases willpower alone wont do it,just like dieting you have to mentally want to change,If your serious about it you need to plan and set goals as failing to plan is planing to fail.go back to AA its no big deal take what you want from it as being around like minded people is a good start,goodluck and let us know how you get on.

James read Allen Carr's "The Easy Way to Stop Drinking"easons or any good book store will have it....it maybe a useful tool to help you in this,your very young and fare play to you for becoming aware that alcohol is causing you some problems, a lot of people dont relaise what alcohol abuse is doing to there lifes and there families untill the crap really hits the fan,me being one of them people.keep posting and letting us know how your getting on.

Aye, i've been drinking for about 2 years now and its only getting me into trouble. Just the other night I got into a fight after a nightclub ended, i'm not the "fighting type" when sober. A couple of months back I blacked out and ended up in A&E and everytime I drink incidents always seem to occour. I'm unemployed and most of my dole ends up going on drink. Hopefully I can give up it'll be tough but worth it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement