Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid wood Oak counter top for kicthen. Good or bad?

Options
  • 15-08-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi,

We are currently getting a kitchen designed for our new house and we are getting mixed reports about putting in a solid wood kitchen counter top.

Does anyone here have one or would anyone recommend them or stay away from them?

We were thinking of putting in cream units with an solid wood oak counter top. The reason we would put in the wood top is for the look of it.

If we should stay away from the wood counter top what would people recommend?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

paulztag wrote: »
    Hi,

We are currently getting a kitchen designed for our new house and we are getting mixed reports about putting in a solid wood kitchen counter top.

Does anyone here have one or would anyone recommend them or stay away from them?

We were thinking of putting in cream units with an solid wood oak counter top. The reason we would put in the wood top is for the look of it.

If we should stay away from the wood counter top what would people recommend?

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

We looked at it as well. Decided in the end against. We had a hob on the island, wood and heat dont suit each other. Maintenance was another factor. They need maintenance. they look fantastic though. How they might look in ten years a i guess is another question. How they would handle hot saucepans etc if left on or pans!. I said this to one crew, and they came back with Granite spots on the worktop for this......took away frmo look if u ask me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We have iroko in now for nearly 6 years and no issues with it. As with TRed we have the hob on the island and its iroko around it so we put 2 hotplates either side so you can leave the pots on it.

Maybe the type of wood makes a difference I am not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Iroko would be ideal as its commonly used for worktops along with beech. Both take Danish oil really well and need to be coated 4-5 times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

woodturner wrote: »
    Iroko would be ideal as its commonly used for worktops along with beech. Both take Danish oil really well and need to be coated 4-5 times

Iroko is like teak isnt it?. Would the oak be less suitable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

tred wrote: »
    Iroko is like teak isnt it?. Would the oak be less suitable.

Its what we have in the kitchen, have a gawk on the blog. I THINK its like teak ya.

• Advertisement
Advertisement