Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Image Surfaces of Next 3 Series - Undisguised

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I presume it'll look more different from other angles...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

It looks exactly the same as the current one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Flares on the bonnet look different - more subtle

They've also put indicators on the mirrors.

There also might be a rear window wiper - possibly not though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Unremarkable again. I hate the look of the 4 door saloon 3 Series, always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

That's the new 3 series :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

pajo1981 wrote: »
    That's the newnext 3 series :confused:

FYP

FYP

Well considering it's an all new car under the skin, I thought it would look a little less like the current model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭el diablo

If it ain't broke .......

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

but..... but...... its slightly different, go out in droves an buy the one with the smallest, weakest most efficient engine possible and save hundreds in tax and fuel while loosing thousands in depreciation.....

but..... but...... its slightly different, go out in droves an buy the one with the smallest, weakest most efficient engine possible and save hundreds in tax and fuel while loosing thousands in depreciation.....

People buy 320ds over 330ds not because of the savings in motor tax, but because there is nearly a 20k difference in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

It looks great from the little I can see, front end looks like a smaller 7 series. 3 series is a waste of money though, such an incredibly cramped car I can't get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

OSI wrote: »
    There is 9k in the difference. But even if they were the same price the road would be littered with 320ds still. People don't want a decent high spec car. They want a (misguided) perceived prestige over their neighbour.

I think that argument is complete bollix tbh. 9k is a huge difference added to the increased running costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Never understood the appeal of the 3 series saloon.

They have never looked near as good as they do as a coupe, the average one is very poorly specced for something so expensive, and they're not exactly capacious either. So in effect you get a mediocre looking, sluggish, basic spec saloon with limited space for 30 grand plus.
    If you're buying new then they're cheaper and more practical than the coupé, and spec is down to the buyer. Looks are a personal thing, but the current coupé does nothing for me - previous versions were much better resolved, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

A couple of more photos.

Internally its called the F30. Seems to be more of a genesis of the existing model than anything very radical, in design terms anyway. Whats underneath will be more interesting.

sinttuloxt.jpg
    sinttulowi.png

More pics here, including the Touring version (F31) and a smaller version of the 5 series GT.
    http://www.autobild.de/bilder/mittelklasse-erlkoenig-so-startet-2012-der-neue-bmw-3er-f30--1684048.html#bild2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you're buying new then they're cheaper and more practical than the coupé, and spec is down to the buyer. Looks are a personal thing, but the current coupé does nothing for me - previous versions were much better resolved, IMO.
    There is 9k in the difference. But even if they were the same price the road would be littered with 320ds still. People don't want a decent high spec car. They want a (misguided) perceived prestige over their neighbour.
    And people can have a fairly well-specified 320d for the price of a very basic 330d.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These threads always seem to decend into testosterone filled pi$$ing contests. Similar theme regarding the 520d, if it isn't a straight six or V8 then it's not worthy of the badge. The 320d/520d have 184bhp these days, can do 0 - 100km in less than 9 sec, go on to do 140mph while still returning a decent +40mpg. Hardly runt of the litter stuff. Some people complain that these cars are pointless but seem to forget that these are the bread winners for the likes of BMW so that they can go out and develope V8,V10, M powered engines.

Now back to the original topic. Hard to make out the photos are they are not the best but the design looks evolutionary rather than revolutinary. Seems to be the trend set by most of the German marques in the last number of years.

bazz26 wrote: »
    These threads always seem to decend into testosterone filled pi$$ing contests. Similar theme regarding the 520d, if it isn't a straight six or V8 then it's not worthy of the badge. The 320d/520d have 184bhp these days, can do 0 - 100km in less than 9 sec, go on to do 140mph while still returning a decent +40mpg. Hardly runt of the litter stuff. Some people complain that these cars are pointless but seem to forget that these are the bread winners for the likes of BMW so that they can go out and develope V8,V10, M powered engines.

Now back to the original topic. Hard to make out the photos are they are not the best but the design looks evolutionary rather than revolutinary. Seems to be the trend set by most of the German marques in the last number of years.
    the 320d is actially good for145mph and will do 0-60 in less than 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Think I will reserve judgement until I see better photos. Looks to me like its quite similar to the 5 and the 7. Same sausage, different length.
    Never understood the appeal of the 3 series saloon.

They have never looked near as good as they do as a coupe, the average one is very poorly specced for something so expensive, and they're not exactly capacious either. So in effect you get a mediocre looking, sluggish, basic spec saloon with limited space for 30 grand plus.

The extra doors over a Coupe for a start and the fact it starts 10k under a 5 Series.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    And people can have a fairly well-specified 320d for the price of a very basic 330d.;)

They will need to seriously either increase the equipment levels of the 3 Series or the Price of the 5 Series to kick start 3 Series again. Its been in the doldrums since 2008 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ofcork

They decided to copy merc and have indicators in the mirrors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

gpf101 wrote: »
    I think that argument is complete bollix tbh. 9k is a huge difference added to the increased running costs.
    +1

Also usually typed by someone who will never buy the higher spec car brand new themselves but will always give out when someone else doesn't.

If BMW radically changed the 3 series people would whine on about how they ruined the car. I imagine BMW like most others manufactures won't mess with the design too much for fear of doing damage to sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

I thought Audi was bad using the resize button on the photocopier. This takes the biscuit. Unless I saw a F10 on that page it looks the exact same as the 5 series. E34 until E46 era was their best IMO. All the cars in between them looked so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

ofcork wrote: »

Nearly all manufacturers have been doing that for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thanks,I needed a laugh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1
    the current 20d engine has only 10bhp less than my E39 30d engine :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thanks,I needed a laugh

Well merc had indicators in the mirrors in the s class in 99 with the new model at the time long before others followed suit vag etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

RedorDead wrote: »
    Think I will reserve judgement until I see better photos. Looks to me like its quite similar to the 5 and the 7. Same sausage, different length.

Quote of the day! Genius on so many levels:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Well merc had indicators in the mirrors in the s class in 99 with the new model at the time long before others followed suit vag etc.

Indicators in the mirrors is now an EU standard (or soon to be)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    I thought Audi was bad using the resize button on the photocopier. This takes the biscuit. Unless I saw a F10 on that page it looks the exact same as the 5 series. E34 until E46 era was their best IMO. All the cars in between them looked so nice.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Audi engineering meetings

A4
    A3 = A4 x85%
    A8 = A4 x 119%

etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

+1

Actually I reckon the 318d could become the 'new' 320d. The latter could be fairly thin on the ground. Hope not, but you know what Irish buyers are like. Different segment but I notice there are no Giuliettas for sale atm with the exciting 170bhp 1.4. All puny 120bhp versions (not sure they're even in a better tax band!) and 1.6ds. And Alfas are supposed to be an enthusiasts marque!

On the other hand...I'm also going to say something that will upset some petrolheads. A V8/V10 powered M-car is a waste on Irish roads considering all the inherent compromises. Fair enough if you're willing to pay through the nose for a nicer noise and a bit of extra shove between speed cameras and potholes.
    kceire wrote: »
    +1
    the current 20d engine has only 10bhp less than my E39 30d engine :mad:

My point exactly.
    JerCotter7 wrote: »

O come on - that's not new. it's tradition! It's been like that since the 70s, maybe before. There was probably a little more differentiation in the Bangle-era designs but not much. 5 and 7 series especially have looked virtually indistinguishable at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement