Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for tank mates

Options
  • 14-08-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 35l BiUbe tank. I'm currently cycling it in preparation for getting a betta, and I'd quite like to put something else in there too. I'd prefer something to keep algae down over tetras or minnows.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

After a bit of research I'm thinking of a pair of Cory Catfish. Would my tank be big enough for 1 betta and 2 catfish?

After a bit of research I'm thinking of a pair of Cory Catfish. Would my tank be big enough for 1 betta and 2 catfish?

I dropped into Pet Paradise on Parnell St. earlier to have a look at what's in stock and get some plants. I picked up a nice bit of wood, a hygrophilia and a lotus. I completely fell in love with some Figure 8 pufferfish, but I'm not really up to setting up a brackish tank just yet (though I'm thinking about it now).

I was delighted with how helpful all the staff were, especially the lady who chatted with me about fish I was thinking about; she was very entusiastic and seemed very knowledgable. I completely fell in love with some Figure 8 pufferfish, but I'm not really up to setting up a brackish tank just yet (though I'm thinking about it now).

Here's a couple of pics of the setup as it stands.

picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=10378
    picture.php?albumid=1626&pictureid=10377

Looking forward to getting a betta now. She also recommended some Corys, but I'm torn between those and Otos. I know my tank isn't very big and I'm a bit paranoid about overstocking so I'm tending to lean toward the Otos as they're smaller. I'm wondering what snails are like for keeping algae down but 1) I don't want them to eat my lovely new plants and 2) I'm a bit squeamish with snails.

Just a quick question. Will the wood and plants eventually stop trying to float up, or should I tie some rocks to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

From what I've read it depends on the logs, did you soak them first? I got some in PetStop recently and after 24 hours of soaking it had no problems staying down... Did you soak the logs for long? If so, I think you'll need to tie it down. The plants will take root into the rocks/logs after a while but might need to be tied until they've taken root. Seems fishing line is the best thing for it.

Fraid I can't help with any of the other questions since I'm a total newbie at fishkeeping who'll be starting a similar thread soon!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I really wouldn't put any more fish in that tank. The betta should be okay, but corys etc need a bit more space than that.

Snails won't do much for algae, but if you give the glass a wipe with a glass cleaner magnet or a scraper once a week it should keep it down.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    From what I've read it depends on the logs, did you soak them first? I got some in PetStop recently and after 24 hours of soaking it had no problems staying down... Did you soak the logs for long? If so, I think you'll need to tie it down. The plants will take root into the rocks/logs after a while but might need to be tied until they've taken root. Seems fishing line is the best thing for it.

Fraid I can't help with any of the other questions since I'm a total newbie at fishkeeping who'll be starting a similar thread soon!
    No, they weren't soaked. I'll do that now. Thanks.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I really wouldn't put any more fish in that tank. The betta should be okay, but corys etc need a bit more space than that.

Snails won't do much for algae, but if you give the glass a wipe with a glass cleaner magnet or a scraper once a week it should keep it down.
    Thanks for that.

I'll start with just the Betta, and think about whether or not additions would be possible in a few months.

Advertisement