Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massey Ferguson digger

Options
  • 14-08-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im to look at a 1986 2wd massey ferguson backhoe digger on Tuesday and would hoping to do abit of work around the house then sell it on but these machines seem to be rare compared to a jcb so was wondering what they are like..they have an ulgy cab on them thats for sure..
    Its in good mechanical order and hes looking €3500..
    Any advice appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Its probably a a late 50d or early 50h/hx you will be looking at.

They were based on the 50b which was as good as anything out there.

You would be better off getting a 4 WD as in wet contitions the 2wd are pretty helpless, ie a back wheel spinning.

Cab wise , the 50d and 50hx cabs all rot. its a known fault and hard to find a good one .

Engine wise it mos likely has a 248 perkins in it and probably breathes from the breather pipe and from the oil filler cap if opened while it is running. A known problen with the 248. It would just need a new set of rings and liners as long as it has good oil pressure and doesn't miss or oil in water/ water in oil.

Hydraulics . To test , put up on its legs and its front bucket. Extend the back actor all the way back and lift the whole machine off the ground with the back actor. A lot are weak and cant do this. sometimes you can get away with changing a relief valve for a couple of hundred. The pumps are normally sound on these.

It probably has a torque converter. These were designed for a six cylinder and were over engineered and dont normallly give trouble. To test , stick it in top gear and make sure the machine can start in forwards and reverse.

Check the front axel for wear , track rod ends etc, wear in the loader and back actor.

Parts are still available for these, Crowleys in cork are the maindealer for these and are good with advice if you ring them up.

Another thing with these diggers is over the last few years a lot of the good ones have got exported and there is a lot of scrap left here. The parts are available but you could spend a fortune fixing one up

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bergkamp77

Hi just noticed your enquiry about the Massey diggers, I bought one a couple of yrs ago to clean up a bit of land drainage etc and we used her for digging the foundations for a neighbours house also. She is really a great machine around a farm or building site, can be used for a variety of jobs, back actor comes with a 2 foot and an 18" bucket with good teeth loads of power for digging the foundations septic tank driveway, putting in the hardcore, levelling it out, torque controllis very handy like an automatic gearbox but you have three high and three low if needed also. as for traction tyres are good and it depends how hilly your terrain is or if near bogland but generally a two wheel drive is perfectly capable of getting through the stickiest of conditions, nearly impossible to get stuck as the back actor will pull her and even lift her out of any wet places. if you want I can put up some photos of her tomorrow and maybe a video. I'm in Wexford and the price is €4750. all glass in cab and good tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

i hate to point it out but the thread is over 4 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lyonoo

bergkamp77 wrote: »
    Hi just noticed your enquiry about the Massey diggers, I bought one a couple of yrs ago to clean up a bit of land drainage etc and we used her for digging the foundations for a neighbours house also. She is really a great machine around a farm or building site, can be used for a variety of jobs, back actor comes with a 2 foot and an 18" bucket with good teeth loads of power for digging the foundations septic tank driveway, putting in the hardcore, levelling it out, torque controllis very handy like an automatic gearbox but you have three high and three low if needed also. as for traction tyres are good and it depends how hilly your terrain is or if near bogland but generally a two wheel drive is perfectly capable of getting through the stickiest of conditions, nearly impossible to get stuck as the back actor will pull her and even lift her out of any wet places. if you want I can put up some photos of her tomorrow and maybe a video. I'm in Wexford and the price is €4750. all glass in cab and good tyres.

Hi
    I'm looking for a massey 50 at the moment to do some work around my site.
    Any chance of loading those Pictures and video up ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lyonoo

bergkamp77 wrote: »

Hi
    I'm looking for a massey 50 at the moment to do some work around my site.
    Any chance of loading those Pictures and video up ?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Did you sell it yet ?
    Thanx

Advertisement