Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

healing a wasp with sugar

Options
  • 14-08-2011 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

hello all. I woke up this morning and found a wasp on the shelf in my bathroom and he was upside down with his legs barely moving so I turned him over and he was falling over all the time. I read years ago that if you water some sugar to make it watery and put it in a small bit of tinfoil and give it to wasps or bees it gives them their energy back when they drink it.

so I tried that out and you could see his little tongue licking the sugar for a few minutes then 40 minutes later he was moving around faster and only one of his wings was working then 2 minutes later his other wing was working then he flew off fine.

I just have to say that I was amazed this actually worked. maybe he was flying around the house all night with no food or sugar source and just ran out of energy. anyway if you ever see this with a bee or wasp and you want to help it make the sugar real watery so they don't stick to it and watch them lap the sugar up and heal themselves.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that wasp is going to sting someone now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

that wasp is going to sting someone now

well I am 42 years old now and I have never in my life been stung by either a bee or a wasp. if you leave them alone and don't flay your hands around trying to swat them they won't bother you.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭migemo

Great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

This one time when I was younger there was a bee in the same scenario you just described. Being the naive 8 year old I was I brought out a glass of honey and dropped him into it... "Here you go, little fella." Needless to say, the bee slowly sank to the bottom in what can only be described as the most horrific death imaginable. Not sure how this is relevant, but good job on not killing him!

I find it amazing sometimes on how nervous people are when they see a wasp. my friend is like that he runs a mile when one of them get too close.

I would never kill a bee or wasp cause they are very harmless imo. amazing little creatures they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I would go entirely out of my way to save a bee.

Not a wasp. Wasps are creatures of nightmares. Different breeds have different habits, but they have a tendency to plant their eggs inside other insects, imprison them and allow their young to devour them from the inside. One particular breed lobotomises a beetle by stabbing its stinger into a particular part of its brain and then drags/rides it back to its lair, where it injects it with eggs and leaves it to be eaten alive.

Fuck wasps.

sure look what human beings do to other animals/mammals, humans are no different. well the Irish breed of wasps are nothing like those ones you are talking about. either way everyone to their own.

I don't react to wasps really, just move away from them. Bees I have a bit more trouble with because I seem to have a knee jerk reaction to that loud buzzing sound, and do a sort of awkward run away... I'd never try to bat at one though.

Honestly, if I had seen a wasp on it's back, barely moving, I'd kill it thinking it was dying and that I was putting it out of it's misery. Oops. In future I'll try this instead, so you've done a good deed for any wasp I ever come across!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

zenno wrote: »
    well I am 42 years old now and I have never in my life been stung by either a bee or a wasp. if you leave them alone and don't flay your hands around trying to swat them they won't bother you.

You don't have to go out of your way to anger them to get stung. I was stung quite badly while rowing a boat so my arms were definitely otherwise engaged and I was not trying to swat anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Bee are great. I've nothing agaisnt one and I'd gladly save one. But wasps.....
    1zA2M.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What kind of wasp is that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭jimdeans

What kind of wasp is that ?

a badass one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Zillah wrote: »
    I would go entirely out of my way to save a bee.

Not a wasp. Wasps are creatures of nightmares. Different breeds have different habits, but they have a tendency to plant their eggs inside other insects, imprison them and allow their young to devour them from the inside. One particular breed lobotomises a beetle by stabbing its stinger into a particular part of its brain and then drags/rides it back to its lair, where it injects it with eggs and leaves it to be eaten alive.

Fuck wasps.

Ok, that's amazing. I'll be putting out sugar water all day now! All hail our new Wasp Overlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Wonderful story :pac:

Advertisement