Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic design on Macbook pro

Options
  • 14-08-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey guys, I have just gotten my very first Mac, a new MacBook Pro with Lion, I do a small bit of small time graphic design and have been using Photoshop 7 for years now. I'm looking to get a similar prog/app for my new machine, any recommendations?

I really want something that I can create a new image from scratch, and drag images onto it and manipulate and then export as jpeg, pdf etc.

I see PSelements in the AppStore but I'm afraid it will be too basic and only allow touch ups on imported photos.

Any advice or recommendations would be great

:)=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Is Lion not compatible with photoshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beave

Gordon wrote: »
    Is Lion not compatible with photoshop?
    I'm sure it is, I was just looking to see if anyone had any other recommendations or had used pse before I go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Beave wrote: »
    I'm sure it is, I was just looking to see if anyone had any other recommendations or had used pse before I go ahead

Pixelmator is decent. It's got similar functionality to PS Elements and shares a lot of the same shortcut keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

gimp is horrible to use on a mac though as it uses x11 window system.

constantly clicking on a tool item twice to get it to activate is a major pain in the balls.

stick with photoshop OP (i'm a gimp/photoshop user)

• Advertisement

Cheers guys, can't get GIMP to work, doesn't seem to load on LION

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Well, like, if you're a graphic designer, wouldn't you already know the full Adobe line-up is available via various Creative Suite packages for OS X? And you wouldn't 'design' in Photoshop anyway.

sarkozy wrote: »
    Well, like, if you're a graphic designer, wouldn't you already know the full Adobe line-up is available via various Creative Suite packages for OS X? And you wouldn't 'design' in Photoshop anyway.

WOW, did I offend you by using the term Graphic Design?? As I implied I just dabble, excuse me for asking for a little advice from those who know more than me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Hey, I still answered your question. It's a tough environment for professional designers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

stick with adobe, theres a skin for gimp to mimic ps if you wanna go on the cheap

• Advertisement
Advertisement