Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Simms Olde Sweet Shoppe

Options
  • 13-08-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Is now open :D

It looks lovely inside. I can see all the local dentists doing a great trade in the next couple of years with all the sweet shops that have opened.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Yeah nice shops - opened in Wexford & Waterford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Where is the shop located babygirlz?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Sorry, I should have stated it's in Ennis on O'Connell St, beside OTT clothes shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

I know they are going for the Olde Worlde look but they need extra lighting in there, could barely see the sweets!!!! Looked fab otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 eskanw

My kids weren't impressed with Mr Simms they prefer the one up on Turnpike next to Clare fruit & veg, they usually get 50cent worth of 2 types of sweets and Mr Simms wouldnt sell them less than 55grams which is 70 cent so they couldnt get their 2 choice for a euro so we wont be going back there.
    I agree very dark inside wouldn't fancy being in there all day especially in winter, nicely presented selection of sweets but nothing different really than the other 4 sweet shops in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I was there today, I have to agree that they could improve the lighting in there.

Bad idea bringing my 2 in there with all the sweets on display (esp. the lolly pops :D), they kept changing their minds, shop girl was not impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

turnpike shop is way better , do the butchers/veg & health food shop as well so as not to feel so bad !!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

i love that little spot at the turnpike, you can get everything you need for dinner..
    i was in the new sweetshop yesterday, i thought it was super cute and a great selection..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Full marks on the shop front. Very attractive facade extending up to the first floor. Nice addition to O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

babygirlz wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have stated it's in Ennis on O'Connell St, beside OTT clothes shop.

Sorry, where's OTT clothes shop? I'm not up to date with what shops are popping up where in town. Towards the height or the Cathedral? Where would it be in relation to Cassidys, Gamestop, Dunnes etc

Wouldn't mind checkin' it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Inkyhead wrote: »
    Sorry, where's OTT clothes shop? I'm not up to date with what shops are popping up where in town. Towards the height or the Cathedral? Where would it be in relation to Cassidys, Gamestop, Dunnes etc

Wouldn't mind checkin' it out.

Pretty much half way up O'Connell Street, opposite Gamestop. I don't think it is anything special though, the other shops in town all carry similar stock. Nice shop front all right, but other than that, nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Cheers dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Dunno, to me it loses it appeal when you find out it's an international chain based in the UK. They are no different than Starbucks or McDonalds. I prefer to support local shops and their owners rather than multi-national conglomerates.

I was in Ennis today and finally got a round to popping in to Mr. Simms and Treats and Sweets in the Turnpike.

I was looking for some gluten free sweets of a friend who is Coeliac and I was also hoping to get some nice quality chocolate too. I have to agree with Maiden, Mr. Simms's shop looks really nice but the lighting instore was very poor. I thought alot of their products were very over prices too. The quality of the chocolate seemed poor - only 33% cocoa content :(

Treats and Sweets in the Turnpike is a lovely store, it doesn't look as impressive as the Mr. Simms but they had a nice range of products including some chocolate from Clare. They have a good range of gluten free products too which I was delighted with.

+1 for Treats and Sweets.

I must say that the butchers and the fruit and vegetable shop next store are really excellent as well! All three shops were very busy, so it goes to show that if give customers quality produce and a good price, you will have a decent business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Very handy there around the turnpike, I'll normally go to the butchers first, then to the green grocers, normally ask for a box there, makes it nice and handy for collecting everything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Tubsandtiles

My mother visited here last week and said the place was amazing, on another note there is two shops like this one just after opening up this week in Kilrush, pretty amazing too. Is this the revival of the good old sweet shops ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jamartin

My mother visited here last week and said the place was amazing, on another note there is two shops like this one just after opening up this week in Kilrush, pretty amazing too. Is this the revival of the good old sweet shops ? :)

There are 2 in Kilrush recently opened and a 3rd due very soon ,,seemingly they are all the craze now the ole jars of sweets ,evryone in kilrush seem to have all had same idea shame really as the town just aint big enough to accomodate 3 as great as it is to see new business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

On a side note McCowans who make Wham bars, Roy of the Rover, Black and Red and Highland Toffee went bust a couple of weeks so grab some before they're gone for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

As I am a fan of the new shops, I do have a problem with one thing I have noticed.

As I have been walking up town around lunch time recently all of the sweet shops have had huge queues of students out the door. Kids with hands full of candy, milkshakes, and ice cream for lunch everyday can't be good. It's bad enough all they normally can choose from is deep fried stuff. Now it's pure sugar in the mix.

Slightly off topic - Gillian O'Leary of "Chocolate Here" (based in Clare) won a Silver Award for her White Chocolate with Lemon and Poppy Seed bar at the Blas na hEireann (National Irish Food Awards) two weeks ago. Her Milk Chocolate with Raspberry and Rose bar was shortlisted.

http://www.chocolatehere.ie/

IMG_5856_blog.jpg

Sweets N Treats in the Turnpike stock her chocolate. It is nice to see a small local business do well and get some recognition :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 acrd

hi just wondering does anyone know if Mr.Simms do chocolate drops for chocolate fountains and how much are they please, thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

For a chocolate fountain, you can use regular chocolate and add a little cream/milk to make it a little more fluid.
    Hope this helps.
    V

Advertisement