Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

Options
  • 13-08-2011 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭

Anybody else excited? For the first time since KH II it's going to be a game more linked to the story than a spin off, and will apparently end where KH III is going to take off. Game play looked fast aswell.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hope the gameplay is good because since KH2 the storyline is absolutely atrocious, possibly the worst thing written by mankind. Give me a good combat system and spectacle and I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

They confirmed KH III will bring an end to the story. Any games after that will be a completely new Saga, which means 10 years without a proper game :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I have no idea what these games are about anymore. I don't think Square wants anyone to understand them with the way they'll release one game on a system and force you to buy another console or handheld to play the other one.

I won't be playing this one unless they decide to port it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Birth by Sleep is not really a spin-off btw - it is a full-fledged prequel which sets up KH3.

For my money...it is the best of the KH games. I really wished more people on here had tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

noodler wrote: »
    Birth by Sleep is not really a spin-off btw - it is a full-fledged prequel which sets up KH3.

For my money...it is the best of the KH games. I really wished more people on here had tried it.

I'm still getting round to it... I know Birth by sleep is a full game, but there was a lot of angry people just demanding III when they released re:coded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I've been meaning to pick up Birth By Sleep, it looks damn good. So many of my unfinished PSP games are time sinks though, I have to get through more of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hope the gameplay is good because since KH2 the storyline is absolutely atrocious, possibly the worst thing written by mankind. Give me a good combat system and spectacle and I'll be happy.

Haha would you believe that the story went overboard complicated on Sakaguichi's suggestion to Nomura? Personally I enjoy the story now much more than I did in KH 1 since that was very simplistic. Then again I've been lucky to have a DS and my brother had a PSP so I managed to get to play all the titles in the series.
    Mindkiller wrote: »
    I have no idea what these games are about anymore. I don't think Square wants anyone to understand them with the way they'll release one game on a system and force you to buy another console or handheld to play the other one.

I won't be playing this one unless they decide to port it.

They're thinking of a HD remake of some sorts for the anniversary as well as to introduce new players into the franchise. No word on whether that only includes KH1, 2 and BBS or if it includes the DS titles too.
    I'm still getting round to it... I know Birth by sleep is a full game, but there was a lot of angry people just demanding III when they released re:coded

It's funny because it was the fans that begged Nomura to port Coded on a platform they could play it (since it was on japanese phones). And to be honest Re:Coded does push the story forward since it does take place after KH 2(well after the CGI cutscene and before the cutscene after credits). Then again it was never really meant as a full game since it was a mobile game.

The thing about KH series is that people are begging for KH 3 but KH3 really doesn't have any lead into it as did KH2. That's why BBS had to happen (which is a full fledge title akin to Peacewalker in the MGS franchise). Days was simply a midquel that once again fans begged for (wanting to play for roxas/organization/multiplayer). So really the story is progressing well.

Btw Dream Drop Distance is gonna be playable at TGS and should be out early next year in Japan and considering's S-E's recent track record in localisation efforts I think we can assume that this time next year it'll be ou.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 HarbinSnowfall

Hope the gameplay is good because since KH2 the storyline is absolutely atrocious, possibly the worst thing written by mankind.
    Are you saying that Kingdom Hearts II had a bad storyline, or that since Kingdom Hearts II, the storyline has been bad? Just curious.

Anyway, I haven't even played Birth by Sleep yet, though I mean to, as it's the first game since II that seem engaging. And good to know that we might be finally getting the long awaited Kingdom Hearts III before too long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mario007 wrote: »
    Haha would you believe that the story went overboard complicated on Sakaguichi's suggestion to Nomura?

I find it hard to believe because Sakaguchi wasn't with square at the time and it's got a bang of Nomura's terrible writing all over it.
    Are you saying that Kingdom Hearts II had a bad storyline, or that since Kingdom Hearts II, the storyline has been bad? Just curious.

Kingdom Hearts 2's story was absolute scutter. KH1 wasn't that great but at least it had charm. KH2 however is probably the worst thing ever written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I know you resort to hyperbole a lot retrogamer but you're right bang on with these fecking games.

• Advertisement

Mindkiller wrote: »
    I know you resort to hyperbole a lot retrogamer but you're right bang on with these fecking games.

Lol it's not hyperbole, the story really is that bad. Still though, there's enough there to besides story that makes them worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lol it's not hyperbole, the story really is that bad. Still though, there's enough there to besides story that makes them worthwhile.

I actually thought KH2 was better (save for the fact I wish I had played on hard).

But yeah, if you ask me to explain exactly what happened in between the end of KH1 and the end of KH2 then I would struggle.

There was enough excellent fan service to keep me happy though
    (Squall and Cloud side-by-side battling an army of evils!)

The story is another reason I though BBS was so good - it was able to shed the weight of the existing story by being a prequel (similar to the way MGS3 did).

Advertisement