Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not turning over unless put in gear and rolled forward.

Options
  • 13-08-2011 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

Right I've got an odd problem.

When pressing the starter I just get a click sound coming from under the seat.

If I put the bike in gear, hold the clutch in, roll the bike forward a foot and release the clutch so the bike jerks to a stop, put into neutral, it then starts without any hesitation.

The battery is 12.7 volts.

If the bike is left for a long time eg over night. It starts first time. If I start it. Turn off the engine and try and start again I get the same problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Sounds like it might be the starter motor.

Think I had a dodgy one years ago that would work when left for ages.

Otherwise I had to give it a knock with a spanner when pressing in the start button, you could give that a try if you can find the starter motor.

If it is that I believe they can be disassembled and cleaned with a wire brush, I just got a replacement for mine, was €80 I think, was a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

If I put the bike in gear, hold the clutch in, roll the bike forward a foot and release the clutch so the bike jerks to a stop, put into neutral, it then starts without any hesitation.

If the bike is left for a long time eg over night. It starts first time. If I start it. Turn off the engine and try and start again I get the same problem.
    Sounds like low battery. Stick the meter across the battery and post what it drops to when pressing the starter button.

Leave the battery on charger overnight and see how that works next day.

If starter is working first time each morning it should be fine.

If you start it, turn it off and start it again immediately you are running down the battery but not running it long enough to charge it up again. After you've been out for a spin, does it start again okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Fr Dougal wrote: »

Sounds like low battery. Stick the meter across the battery and post what it drops to when pressing the starter button.

Leave the battery on charger overnight and see how that works next day.

If starter is working first time each morning it should be fine.

If you start it, turn it off and start it again immediately you are running down the battery but not running it long enough to charge it up again. After you've been out for a spin, does it start again okay?

Checked the voltage again first thing this morning. It was 12.3 volts. Dropped to 11.8 when I tried to start it. It failed to start.

Ya must be the battery. Time to get myself a charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Probably as well off to get a new battery as opposed to a charger. The battery shouldn't die unless it's been sitting for a while. Another thing to check is the spark plugs as these can foul up with a bad battery and make starting harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

12V battery should be showing 14V+ when engine running. What type of bike? Twins are poor chargers if you do lots of town driving with lights on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Its not the battery, its the starter sticking. There's dirt (like a fine powder) between the connections in the starter. If you feel confident enough you can take it apart and clean this with something soft e.g. a tissue and it'll be like new again.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Solenoid on the starter is your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yesterday I attempted to take the starter motor off the bike. The thing wouldn't budge. Hit it with a mallet a few times but mo joy.

I gave up and reconnected everything and bam starts perfectly now. Lol. Let's see how long it lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Yesterday I attempted to take the starter motor off the bike. The thing wouldn't budge. Hit it with a mallet a few times but mo joy.

I gave up and reconnected everything and bam starts perfectly now. Lol. Let's see how long it lasts

What bike is it?

I'd still check with a multimeter and see if it's charging OK. As said above, should be around 13.6/13.8v when brought to 3-5 k revs with the lights on and near 14v with the lights off. Battery should be reading 12.6 - 13.0 if healthy with no load. Check the fluid levels in the battery and like you have already done, cleaned the electrical connections such as the earth leads and the main positive battery lead connectors. Then get some grease/vaseline or other anti moisture repellent onto the battery connections.

Advertisement