Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dawkins - the selfish gene

Options
  • 12-08-2011 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

hi i recently wanted to read into evolutionary biology and purchased the origin of species, the selfish gene and the blind watchmaker.

i started the origin of species but after a few pages it just didnt seem like a very enjoyable read. it seemed really cluttered and muddled and just wasnt very enjoyable.

then i started the selfish gene.

however im nearly at the end of it and the book seems to be dawkins ideology of evolution/theory of how evolution occurs at the very basic genetic level, almost like he's explaining natural selection rather than explaining the chronological changes in 'survival machines' as a result of the process of evolution.

however i think i was more looking into something that would take me through the evolutionary chronological process from 'primeval soup' right up to homosapian.

something along the lines that would explain the process of

basic amino acids in primeval soup -> fish -> crocodile -> dinosaur -> monkey -> human or whatever the process is.

is there any such book?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

This sketches it out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution

Towards the end of that article, it recommends another Dawkins book. The references may offer further avenues of exploration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the book you want would probably be 'life, an unauthorised biography' by richard fortey.
    he's a great writer - worth checking out his other stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If the book wasn't quite to your taste, you could always hop on a plane to Edinburgh to go and see the musical. They're calling it the world's first "biomusical". :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

The Ancestors Tale, by Dawkins is good for that - it starts with us now and goes backwards. I really enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Animord wrote: »
    The Ancestors Tale, by Dawkins is good for that - it starts with us now and goes backwards. I really enjoyed it.

Yea thats a good one, nice and easy read some convoluted bits as only RD can do at times,

compared to

The selfish gene, is a tough read, blind watchmaker is good, there is another books called evolution by stephen baxter that tells it as a story from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

The selfish gene, is a tough read, blind watchmaker is good, there is another books called evolution by stephen baxter that tells it as a story from the start.

found that myself the first time i read it. couldn't finish it. read it again a few months later and it was a much easier and more enjoyable read.

think its a bit like learning in college. a lot of information and needs time to sink in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Animord wrote: »

I second this. It's a great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

I particularly liked how each time he went back a 'creature' (as it were) he starts with "This is your great x 12,000 grandparent" Made me laugh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

i started the origin of species but after a few pages it just didnt seem like a very enjoyable read. it seemed really cluttered and muddled and just wasnt very enjoyable.

Really? I found Darwin a wonderfully lucid writer considering his ignorance of genetics.

Advertisement