Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plesiosaurs didn't lay eggs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Awwww, how come there's an illustration of this, but not of a baby apatosaurus walking around on its little hindlegs?

No justice. No bloody justice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Awwww, how come there's an illustration of this, but not of a baby apatosaurus walking around on its little hindlegs?

No justice. No bloody justice.

As a matter of fact, there is :D

fabio_pastori.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Huh.

Well that's a lot less cute than I expected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Huh.

Well that's a lot less cute than I expected.

How ungrateful. See if I ever post another pic for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

From BBC:

Plesiosaur didn't lay eggs, The fossil of a pregnant Plesiosaur shows that they gave birth to live young. It is believed they gave birth to one live born at a time.

This also suggests a certain degree of parental care.

The 78 million year old fossil is at the US Natural History Museum in Los Angeles County.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Threads merged

More layman friendly title chosen

Sorry about that. I should read the threads more carefully before posting. My fault and I apologise to Adam who did the OP.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Sorry about that. I should read the threads more carefully before posting. My fault and I apologise to Adam who did the OP.

No worries ;)

I am fairly sure that some of them, especially in the early days of their evolution must have laid eggs like turtles do today though. But live birth is not so surprising, Ichthyosaurs did it too.

Rubecula wrote: »
    I am fairly sure that some of them, especially in the early days of their evolution must have laid eggs like turtles do today though. But live birth is not so surprising, Ichthyosaurs did it too.

Actually I think some sea reptiles which are believed to be ancestral or related to the ancestors of plesiosaurs were already viviparous, so it is unlikely that any plesiosaurs laid eggs at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement