Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civets?

Options
  • 12-08-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

In a discussion about Coffee today civets were mentioned, they arent something I'd heard of, so I looked them up. Further googling lead to YT clips that would appear to show them as really nice pets, but there isnt much info online. So, a few questions:

1. Can they live in an irish climate(in the house only?)
    2. Can they be imported(they dont appear to be anyway endangered etc)
    3. How would one get on with a regular cat?
    4. Any particular problems with owning them as a pet?
    5. Anywhere here sell them?

Any info appreciated.
    Thanks,
    LB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I really don't understand why you'd want one. They carry SARS, smell awful, and are noisy. Their natural range is about 250 acres, so they probably wouldn't be happy in a house or garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

OP they are arboreal animals so unless you have a mini-indoor rainforest I'd get a domesticated cat instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

although your post is genuine im sure, it still manages to bug the life out of me for a few reasons.
    if you had done any research at all, the first line of wikipedia s info on civets states that the civet is "native to the tropics of Africa and Asia".so that answers one of your questions, can it live in this climate?no it cant, ireland is not a tropical climate in case you hadnt noticed and keeping the thing cooped up in those oversized fish tanks with heat lamps wont do.and mainly for that reason i hope there is no one in this country selling them.

this is the thing that really bugs me.people bringing these animals into this country such as snakes,iguanas,lizards, crocs,etc etc all of which need warm climates to thrive.all of a sudden the owner realises they cant deal with it and abandons the bloody thing and leaves the animal welfare to deal with it.

get a bloody dog or cat.there are thousands of them crying out for homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

**Vai** wrote: »
    OP they are arboreal animals so unless you have a mini-indoor rainforest I'd get a domesticated cat instead.

An emulation could be arranged.
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    although your post is genuine im sure, it still manages to bug the life out of me for a few reasons.
    if you had done any research at all, the first line of wikipedia s info on civets states that the civet is "native to the tropics of Africa and Asia".so that answers one of your questions, can it live in this climate?no it cant, ireland is not a tropical climate in case you hadnt noticed and keeping the thing cooped up in those oversized fish tanks with heat lamps wont do.and mainly for that reason i hope there is no one in this country selling them.

this is the thing that really bugs me.people bringing these animals into this country such as snakes,iguanas,lizards, crocs,etc etc all of which need warm climates to thrive.all of a sudden the owner realises they cant deal with it and abandons the bloody thing and leaves the animal welfare to deal with it.

get a bloody dog or cat.there are thousands of them crying out for homes.

First off, chill a little. I came asking for info for the very reason of not getting something unsuitable.

I would love a dog, but as we live in suburban dublin owning one really wouldnt be suitable. I wouldnt get a dog unless I lived on a farm/similar.

Just because an animal isnt native here does not it is incapable of living somewhere for one. Obviously it couldnt survive an irish winter, but indoors in a heated house is not the same as in the wild. We've had snakes(only small ones though, nothing that would be restricted space wise) and I'm not looking for something to lock in a terraria.

Wouldnt ever consider the likes of a croc or larger members of the lizard family. The amount of turtles that are bought and improperly cared for is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

An emulation could be arranged.

First off, chill a little. I came asking for info for the very reason of not getting something unsuitable.

I would love a dog, but as we live in suburban dublin owning one really wouldnt be suitable. I wouldnt get a dog unless I lived on a farm/similar.

Just because an animal isnt native here does not it is incapable of living somewhere for one. Obviously it couldnt survive an irish winter, but indoors in a heated house is not the same as in the wild. We've had snakes(only small ones though, nothing that would be restricted space wise) and I'm not looking for something to lock in a terraria.

Wouldnt ever consider the likes of a croc or larger members of the lizard family. The amount of turtles that are bought and improperly cared for is shocking.
    Why not get a cat so? They're readily available and require no special paraphenalia. If you're willing to build a habitat for a civet you could probably knock up a fantastic cat-habitat.

Cats can live very happily indoors if they're given enough stimulation. Certainly they're easier to care for than civets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement