Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCA(leaving cert applied)-schools out_

Options
  • 12-08-2011 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

hi all i dont the leaving cert applied and since its coming close to the "results date" i just wonderinghow you injoyed you 2 years .... or what you thought of it....im going on to a mechanic appreticship with fas solas soon:D:D big into cars...;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Delighted for you that you're getting the job you wanted.

One of many things I like about the LCA is that students have a clear idea all along of how things are going for them, from the first set of results they get in January of 5th year to the final result on Wednesday.

The LCA kids are never the ones shaking going in to get their results and rarely the ones coming out crying as they know how they did in advance, barring a few marks from the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

spurious wrote: »
    Delighted for you that you're getting the job you wanted.

One of many things I like about the LCA is that students have a clear idea all along of how things are going for them, from the first set of results they get in January of 5th year to the final result on Wednesday.

The LCA kids are never the ones shaking going in to get their results and rarely the ones coming out crying as they know how they did in advance, barring a few marks from the exams.

true that mate...did you do a lca or are you a teacher of a lca class or something?;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm a teacher. I like teaching LCA - hope your class are happy with their results and all the best in the apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Is there a reason why the LCA isn't accepted by many universities Spurious? If they broadened the choice of available courses / subjects (not really sure how it works) it looks like a much more practical solution than sitting 7-8 subjects of which most are of little use when you reach university.

I don't know, it's crazy, but folk in education aren't really fond of change - look at the reaction to Project Maths. It's the end of the known world apparently.

The LCA rewards (apart from 'academic' study) all sorts of things like attendance, timekeeping, working on your own, working with others, independent study and research, presentation and interview skills. The fact that LCA candidates will have a number of interviews throughout the two years presenting their tasks and projects is a huge plus when it comes to interviews.

It's ironic that many of the standard LC candidates who take the FETAC/PLC route into college will be sitting beside people who 'only' did the LCA but who are far better able to manage in a college type atmosphere. I've said it before here, there are people who could do well in the standard LC but who would fail the LCA because they just do not have the personal qualities or discipline it requires.

I'm aware many schools run really slack LCA courses (as there are many who run poor TY courses) and I feel sorry for the kids who go to those schools as it's nothing to do with the LCA course itself, though I do think the LCA course is weakened by not having a History/Heritage option. That may be the History teacher in me talking. It's a chicken and egg situation really, the more candidates who do the LCA, the more notice the third level community will have to take.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    I'm a teacher. I like teaching LCA - hope your class are happy with their results and all the best in the apprenticeship.

thanks very much.... il post the results on this form when i get them...(if there good:D)

i got a.............................................DISTINTION witch is 85%..pleased with it:D

Advertisement