Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness and hiking

Options
  • 12-08-2011 1:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I don't hike much, unfortunately, but I'm wondering how to approach fitness aspect. I run a bit (30 mins 2-3 times a week), but that's about it. Is there a good way of improving fitness for hiking specifically...apart from getting out there and up mountains?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Nope - Just get up into the mountains or possibly start on the easier way-marked trails. Simply doing it will sort out your mountain fitness...

I do a bit of both, once you're fit you're fit. They are slightly different types of fitness mind, 8 or 9 hours on the hills does not mean you will improve your running times, or at least it doesn't do much for me. But 30 mins running 2 or 3 times a week to me says you're more than fit enough to get out there. You'll only find out through trial and error whether longer hikes are for you. I like to think I'm reasonably fit, but frankly after about 8 hours of hiking I'm tired of it and starting to notice every niggle, and would rather them 2 hours shorter. I suspect others can go a lot longer, I see treks on mountainviews that are timed at being longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't do it myself, but I've noticed that cyclists seem to take to hillwalking particularly easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Like Conor74 i do a bit of both.Training for a half marathon this year so im reasonably fit and it does help for any hiking i do.If i was doing a hike i'd count that as a training day for my half marathon prep.Getting out there and doing it is the key,start off small or even a few flat less intense walks first.Cycling,swimming,playing ball games etc are all good for getting the fitness up.Obviously hikes are alot more enjoyable and less of an endurance test when your fit so it does pay off i think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks all. I was in Wicklow in April before finishing the C25K and didn't find that hike a problem, but it was fairly easy going. Was in Alaska in June (C25K completed then), hiked in a national park (next to a glacier and through snow), felt unfit then, possibly not being used to the snow. 4 in the group were like lightning and flew on ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I cycle a lot and find the fitness gained from cycling converts very well to fitness out in the hills! For me i usually find long hikes much less tiring than long cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Squats are the job (not on its own, do as part of weight training with weights on shoulders / kettle bells), coupled with regular jogging). Great for getting power into the legs... its all about power and stamina.

I've found since I've worked on that I'm enjoying my hiking much more... (mind you losing 18lb since christmas has helped too:))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

The whole cyclist thing in relation to hill walking has being proved before (although I can't find the link at the moment), it's the fact that both use the same muscle groups (probably a stronger hip-flexor and quads).
    Solyad wrote:
    Squats are the job (not on its own, do as part of weight training with weights on shoulders / kettle bells), coupled with regular jogging). Great for getting power into the legs... its all about power and stamina.
    I'll second the squats, I done loads of squats into my workout before heading out to the Alps, can't recommend them enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Must be the power in the legs alright. Appreciate the feedback. :) Will try to stretch out the running to make a bit longer, been meaning to do that for a while. Squats seem quite popular..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hey,
    I don't hike much, unfortunately, but I'm wondering how to approach fitness aspect. I run a bit (30 mins 2-3 times a week), but that's about it. Is there a good way of improving fitness for hiking specifically...apart from getting out there and up mountains?

some gyms have stepping machines and stairs machines, which I personally find good. maybe try the running machines with a little elevation and wear your rucksack while doing it.

Hiking is more enjoyable when your partner has more or less the same fitness level

• Advertisement
Advertisement