Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick city council buy house north circular road

Options
  • 12-08-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Headlines of todays leader, limerick city council snapping up bargains. what really is the point of working in limerick, saving money to buy a house when limerick city council are snapping up 'bargains' accross the city.

How are working people able to buy a house if limerick city council is snapping up all the bargains. Thought property prices were still falling. Banks aren't lending to working people so might as well give up the job + get myself a bargain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How the hell have LCC money to buy houses?? Must be the high rents they charge in city

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

If they have so much money to spare why not drop rates or employ a few more council workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Read this earlier, was wondering would some one post it. Different angle than what i thought would be taken.

Every council in the country gets an annual budget for providing housing and purchase of units, nothing to do with high rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

If they have so much money to spare why not drop rates or employ a few more council workers.

Its a specific buget they have to spend, if they dont spend it all they get less next year.

Same for the roads all over the country you see roads being pulled up that are perfect and resurfaced just as the money has to be spent or they will get less next year

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Now, it's settled, every estate in Limerick has council tennants. Hopefully this will stop the my area is better than your area becuase your area has council tennants brigade.

With the economy the way it is, any one of you who doesn't own your house could end up being a council tennant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

niallers1 wrote: »
    Now, it's settled, every estate in Limerick has council tennants. Hopefully this will stop the my area is better than your area becuase your area has council tennants brigade.

With the economy the way it is, any one of you who doesn't own your house could end up being a council tennant.

Its not the tennants that bother me its the fact city council are deluded to think property is a bargain when someone who works can't afford or get a mortage to buy a house.

They are buying 80 houses at €200,000 each. On daft today in city 101 houses less than €100,000 + county 420 houses less than €100,000.

City centre is falling to pieces why not buy some of that property. And make city proper city centre again.

Or use the money to buy burnt out houses all over city, give someone job to fix them. (sounds like regeneration ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

kilburn wrote: »
    Its a specific buget they have to spend, if they dont spend it all they get less next year.

Same for the roads all over the country you see roads being pulled up that are perfect and resurfaced just as the money has to be spent or they will get less next year

Hate that. How many times has the Condell Road (or many others, for that matter) been resurfaced in the weeks leading up to the end of the financial year? Shows the lack of long-term planning and joined up thinking in this poxy country. (I should say poxily-run country, I actually quite like it).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They are buying 80 houses at €200,000 each. On daft today in city 101 houses less than €100,000 + county 420 houses less than €100,000.

Thats not true. What it says is "The council has a budget in the region of €200,000 to spend per house, and expects to purchase a total of 80 houses this year."
    That doesn't mean there're going to spend that much on each house. My family recently sold a deceased relatives house to the council for around 100K. I guarantee you they didn't spend 200K on the houses they bought in Ballynanty and Janesboro.

Advertisement