Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job: Automatic Locking System for Door (non-electric)

Options
  • 12-08-2011 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Anyone heard of an automatic locking device that locks / unlocks a door on a timer, without using electricity?

It is for a toilet in the middle of a golf course, with no electrical connection. For security reasons, we want to be able to have it automatically lock in the evening and unlock automatically in the morning.

Solar panels charging a magnetic locking system may be one possibility. Another may be a battery powered device, but we are not sure and cannot find an obvious solution in Ireland so far.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Colin

PS. If this post should be in another part of boards.ie, let me know.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Could you put in a key code mechanical lock and just change the key code every day / week instead?

Here is an example of the price of one (it says it's digital in the heading but it isn't)
    http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-door-locks/1877110/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 collad

CatFromHue: Thanks for that reply. This might be a possibility. However, there are two reasons that we are veering away from the use code or card locks:
    1. Non members (visitors) use the course every day and it would be difficult to give each one the code.
    2. Changing the code regularly (to avoid vandals getting it) would then make it difficult for members to remember it.

I think the best solution might be a time-operated battery lock. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Aren't hotel room locks battery operated? Maybe there's one to service that market...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Maybe a battery-powered swipe card reader and solenoid lock? Not sure if these exist or not but the mains equivalent is the standard access control for hotels, offices etc. Should be possible to enable/disable cards as needed, and easy to use.

I'm guessing your problem is restricting access rather than restricting opening time. Bored kids on summer holidays could do damage during daytime as easily as vandals at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

What if someone gets locked in after the timer switchs to lock.
    You could use a windup timer but you would have to keep winding it up or it wouldnt work. No matter what you use it will need a power source and that will need to be repowered. Solar panels connected to a timer that activates a solinoid is prob your best bet but make sure you add a bypass/deactivate switch on the inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would guess solar + lead acid batteries would be the way to go. If you can get a locking mechanism that doesn't take power when locked / unlocked, you'll only use power twice a day, once to lock and once to unlock.

Maplin do 12v central locking motors with internal limit switches, maybe one of these could be made work, possibly with a traditional lock. There should also me a manual override inside the door.

Advertisement