Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus- help plz!

• 11-08-2011 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi I really need advice please, My odometer on my car is not working. Now on the was home every warning light flashed up on the dashboard and the rev and speed guage just went up and down :/ lights not on now just back to normal. Any one know what it could be thats wrong before I bring it to work in the morn :( Advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatcartoget

Happened to my sister's a few years ago. It cost 350 euro to be fixed. It was perfect some days and it would happen again. When you get it fixed your odometer will red at 0000miles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

What year is the focus? I had the same issue with an old 99 focus, turned out it needed the speedo sensor replaced. Wasn't overly expensive either & quick to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

patpark121 wrote: »
    What year is the focus? I had the same issue with an old 99 focus, turned out it needed the speedo sensor replaced. Wasn't overly expensive either & quick to do.

its an 02 110000 miles, diesel, its the trip distance thing thats not working. was itok to drive still?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatcartoget

ontour wrote: »
    its an 02 110000 miles, diesel, its the trip distance thing thats not working. was itok to drive still?

Well what you describes sounds like what happened to my sister. It happened to her first on a Monday night in March and it didn't happen again until May and it lasted for a few days but it happened a lot in July so she got it fixed. The main problem is she didn't know what speed she was doing since it could cut out at any point and start again at any time. After a while she became good at guessing what speed she was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Well what you describes sounds like what happened to my sister. It happened to her first on a Monday night in March and it didn't happen again until May and it lasted for a few days but it happened a lot in July so she got it fixed. The main problem is she didn't know what speed she was doing since it could cut out at any point and start again at any time. After a while she became good at guessing what speed she was doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭kevin101

I have similar problem with my 2000 Focus. Maybe once or twice a week the speedometer will go to zero and also the odometer stops working ( mileage stays the same) until the speedometer reads the speed again. This usually lasts for about five minutes. It's a 1.6 petrol with 160k . Not an issue really for me and certainly not worth forking out a few hundred quid on this car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Sounds like the speed sensor needs replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

kevin101 wrote: »
    I have similar problem with my 2000 Focus. Maybe once or twice a week the speedometer will go to zero and also the odometer stops working ( mileage stays the same) until the speedometer reads the speed again. This usually lasts for about five minutes. It's a 1.6 petrol with 160k . Not an issue really for me and certainly not worth forking out a few hundred quid on this car.
    Its the sensor just replace it, think they are about €40ish.

@ontour, it could be the instrument cluster thats faulty, they fail an odd time. Get one from a scrapyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Another common fault with the Mk1 Focus was HT leads rubbing off each other, which would cause the speedo and rev counter to read zero, and illuminate the Engine Management light.

Check that all the HT leads are secure and away from each other. I had this problem and this solved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

similar happened to my last focus 02 and it turned out to be a faulty alernator. easy to check at garage with a volt meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Intermittent, apparently random, problems on the instrument clusters on the Mk1 Focus can often be solved by removing the circuit board from the cluster and cleaning. I use an old toothbrush. It cleans off any corrosion which can cause leakage paths for the electrical currents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Used to happen with my 2000 1.4 Focus estate. Just pull over, stop. Turn the car off and on usually resolves it. If all else fails, drive slightly slower than everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ryange

I had the same problem with my 04 Focus. Looking through the internet there were loads of different fixes for the same symptoms.I relaced the speed sensor first and seemed to have fixed it but after about two weeks it was back to the same fault.I ended up taking out the clocks and re soldering as many of the joints that I could get to and cleaned the circuit board with electrical cleaner. I have had no issues since with it for over a year now. It is a bit of a pain taking out as you will need to remove all the pointers and try and set them up again after once you are finished. The other option was to buy a second hand clock assembly with close to the same milage as on the original one but could still end up with the same issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 focus mad

I had this problem on two of my fords, the speed sensor needs to be replaced! It's located on the gearbox! Very niggley job but cheap enough as a diy! Also you can put your speedo in test mode! With your ignition off press down on the button located in the speedo, with your finger still on the button switch ignition on and this will engage test mode! Press the black button again to test bulbs, revometer etc. Hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Feeded

I have the same problem and i've learned loads from this thread. . Thanks. . . . I have a different problem now though, my Focus Ghia O3 shudders/stutters a lot when i start the car or change gear or speed up. . It's fierce annoying especially when trying to move off from a junction smartly. . . Any ideas would be really appreciated. . Thanks

Advertisement