Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omega Speedmaster. Opinions wanted.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Less desirable watch - look at the shape of the watch case - sort of cushion cased versus the classic speed master shape.

I would not have it myself.

The real deal though - I can sense an inevitability about that one...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Less desirable yes, but if you can beat them down even more on price and get it closer to the 6-700 euro mark I'd be pretty confident you'll get your money back plus a third in 5 years. I'd bet more. The otherwise high quality but unloved versions of famous watches I reckon will rise steadily as investments, if that's your bag. Plus IMHO the 70's style can be nice as a watch design in of itself. Put it another way how much would you pay in a retail outlet for a new "real" moonwatch? A watch that has little enough to do with the ones sported by the actual moonwalkers? If ya like it and can get it at a decent price(and avoid customs) I say go for it. Others, better informed others may now proceed to lambast me. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's unclear from his description if he has all the packaging and papers. There is another one for $1175 with box and papers. I'll see if I can fine it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

Pretty much any Omega Speedmaster Pro is going to be a good investment, however as far as these MKII versions go the "Racing Dial" is going to be the one that will be more valuable, as well as more in tune with the cushion case, the extra bit of colour in the dial finishes off the look in real 70'ies style.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118596&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Or you could go bonkers and pick up a "Jedi", halfways down the page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70365985

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

marcus1971 wrote: »
    Pretty much any Omega Speedmaster Pro is going to be a good investment, however as far as these MKII versions go the "Racing Dial" is going to be the one that will be more valuable, as well as more in tune with the cushion case, the extra bit of colour in the dial finishes off the look in real 70'ies style.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118596&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Or you could go bonkers and pick up a "Jedi", halfways down the page:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70365985
    They made a cushion shape speedy with a lemainia movement I think it was the Mark 2.5 one. Should be worth an investment.
    The case comes apart in a cool way.

My favorite is the Exotic dial Mark 2 cool orange accent.
    I think good value for these watches but the are vintage so may need work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

The racing dial looks 1000000% better than the vanilla version.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭marcus1971

It is worth considering that if you can pick up a rough Omega, like the Speedmaster you posted, and get it at the right price, like a few hundred less than a perfect example, that Omega have a Restoration Service Centre in Bienne Switzerland.
    The service is expensive on a chrono like the Speedmasters etc. (they quoted me $800 for my Jedi in 2010) but they will return the watch in 100% new condition...just as it was when it left the factory, you can request they leave the hands/dial etc original...but if you opt to change them out they return all of the old parts and re-issue the original paperwork and deliver it in a nice Omega case with a fresh 2 year warranty.

Wouldnt be a bad deal to have what for all intents and purposes is a new watch with the quality of an Omega Speedmaster for $1500-$1800 compared to the prices of a Speedy new today.
    It would probably be worth less than current market value BUT kept pristine and with Omega service history it will go up in value by more than the average examples. (the pics on the TZ of the MKII with the Orange hands are most likely a Bienne resto)

You can check with them as to wheather or not they have all the parts availlable to restore certain models - they have fixed prices quoted for a standard resto on their vintage website -The service can take from a few months to nearly a year in some instances.
    Some older watches with a regular service BUT sent to Bienne will get the full treatment that will put them in new condition for the price of a regular service but with much better results than sending it to the likes of the Irish or UK service centres.
    The biggest and most obvious plus to sending any Omega directly to Bienne for a service is that ALL watches, regardless of age, have their cases refinished on the original lapping machines that made the watch in the first place, so the brushing or polishing on the case is PERFECT, it is not possible to get it perfect on any complex finishes, like the sunburst finish on the Speedy, without the use of the original machine no matter what the particular service centre says. (the best second option is sts in the UK, but still not as good as Omega themselves)

Advertisement