Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alestorm - Back Through Time

Options
  • 11-08-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭

It's been mentioned a few times (and even liked by Motley Crue themselves!), but there isn't a thread mentioning it.

For those of ye who do not know, Alestorm are a "Pirate Metal" band, currently consisting of 4 members, 2 Scots and 2 Irish. This is their 3rd album (1st was Captain Morgans Revenge, 2nd was Black Sails at Midnight), and a cracking one at that. Main song from Back Through Time is Shipwrecked, and my favourite of the year so far.

Personally, i can't find a better song to bop heads to or sing along to. It's catchy, easy to listen to, easier to enjoy and will remain with you long after it's over. Some people say that it's not serious enough for them, and i believe Alestorm themselves play to this, as their official site has negative reviews about them on it! Granted, the singer can't really sing, but i can't imagine singing in a pirate voice is easy.

Anyway, highly recommended to everyone looking for a bit of fun in metal. Oh, and a great drinking song too:

One last word: Alestorm have to be commended for covering a song from Lazytown too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

MORE RUM!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Only discovered these guys the other day and thought they were great fun, The Sunk'n Norwegian is a tune and a half. Also came across these guys if you like your Pirate Metal a little heavier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Discovered them a while ago. At the moment I am at the stage of going through their music and I have to say I like it a lot.

Continues good, old "Running Wild" pirate metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

What an album, what a band...I seen them at Sonisphere and since it was my first live Alestorm experience I took the liberty of taping some of the performance (I've been a fan since about 2009 when a Scottish friend introduced me to them in Perth, yes, doesn't get any-more cliché)

I love this band, cannot get enough about them and say more good things about them, brilliant bunch of guys

AND REMEMBER, TWO OF THEM ARE ALSO IRISH!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

wolf moon wrote: »
    Discovered them a while ago. At the moment I am at the stage of going through their music and I have to say I like it a lot.

Continues good, old "Running Wild" pirate metal.

Not really :confused:

As amusing as the subject of pirates generally is, Running Wild always took a more serious approach to them, whereas Alestorm is just lame "YAR HAR HAR WENCHES AND BEER WALK THE PLANK!" rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Saw them at Wacken, good fun and pure drinking songs.
    Technically it's all bit easy riffs etc., but every album seems to improve.

SirLemonhead: To quote Alestorm from the very same album mentioned here.
    You may think you've heard all this music before
    That "Running Wild" did it back in.84
    But times are a changin' and we don't give a damn
    So if you don't like it, go start your own band

:p

Chris (The singer) is starting up an heroic power metal band by the way, called Gloryhammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

87, to be technically correct :P

The lyrics say 84, which was when their debut album came out :p
    Which sounds weird because it had nothing to do with pirates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Not really :confused:

As amusing as the subject of pirates generally is, Running Wild always took a more serious approach to them, whereas Alestorm is just lame "YAR HAR HAR WENCHES AND BEER WALK THE PLANK!" rubbish
    I cannot disagree :) I am a huge fan of RW...

...but as they don't exist anymore, there has to be something else to fill the gap. And in all fairness the lads are doing much, much better that loads of new bands these days. So fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

love alestorm ,however the new albunm is very poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jelle1880 wrote: »

Chris (The singer) is starting up an heroic power metal band by the way, called Gloryhammer.

I hope that doesn't mean AleStorm are going... :eek:

I hope that doesn't mean AleStorm are going... :eek:

Side-project from what I gathered.

Advertisement