Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a false battery for a Toshiba laptop?

Options
  • 11-08-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How,
    Not sure if these exist but I'll ask anyway. When I use my laptop at home I take the battery out and use the plug instead of overuse of the battery. That leaves a space where the battery is and I'm just worried that the connection (which isn't covered) may get damaged by my knee or something on the table or something. Is there a false battery (pretty much just a lid) that I can buy to cover it up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

How,
    Not sure if these exist but I'll ask anyway. When I use my laptop at home I take the battery out and use the plug instead of overuse of the battery. That leaves a space where the battery is and I'm just worried that the connection (which isn't covered) may get damaged by my knee or something on the table or something. Is there a false battery (pretty much just a lid) that I can buy to cover it up?

This is a myth based from old cadium batteries found in laptops, modern laptops dont make use of the battery when plugged in...as soon as it detects a full battery charge it immeadiatly stops "charging" it. Modern Litium-ion batteries are of good tech and are configured for prolong use on a/c charge.

The gains, if any, are certainly outweighed by the hassle of removing the battery, risk of damaging the battery compartment and the inevitable power off during unsaved important work when you move suddenly to answer the phone...

The only situation i would advise removing the battery is for prolonged gaming sessions where the excess heat can reduce the lifetime of battery cells...but again this is relativly minimal unless constantly stressing the system.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

buy a cheap replacement or 2nd hand battery and put that in if you do wish to save it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

dazzday wrote: »
    This is a myth based from old cadium batteries found in laptops, modern laptops dont make use of the battery when plugged in...as soon as it detects a full battery charge it immeadiatly stops "charging" it. Modern Litium-ion batteries are of good tech and are configured for prolong use on a/c charge.

Not necessarily, many brands will continually top up cells which even with lithium isnt great.

You could probably find a compatible unit being sold for parts OP and just ask to buy the pack on the cheap.

Advertisement