Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rubbish bin collection

Options
  • 11-08-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I live in a area in dublin 11 that is run by a management company. our bins are the large communal bins, a mixture of both general rubbish and recycling. For a few years now <SNIP> have been deliberately taking away the recycling waste in the general waste truck. I have confronted them several times about this and they continue to do it. Apparantly they can charge more money per bin for General Waste. I have even seen them deliberately 'contaminate' the recycling bins by taking rubbish from the general waste bins and throwing on top of the recycling bins, just so they can claim that the recycling bin is 'contaminated' and therefore they 'can't' recycle it. Its a total sham. Finally my new management company has terminated the contract with <SNIP> waste. It cant come quick enough for those bunch of cowboys. They simply laughed at me today as they poured two large bins of genuine recycling waste into the general waste truck. So frustrating when you are genuinely trying to recycle. For anyone using <SNIP> for collective bin collection, i suggest you watch what they are doing and what they are charging you for. They are cowboys and ripping us off for years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - this is not a Consumer Issue, as you were not the direct consumer of the service provided. The management company was the consumer.

Secondly, I have removed the name of the company as it is legally dubious to name them in such a manner, without direct proof.

Additionally, if this was bothering you, then you should take your recycling directly to a bring centre yourself. I currently do this, as my landlord switched to a private operator who provides a large, dumpster-type bin. I don't believe that they sort & recycle the rubbish, so I take my recycling myself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have to agree, if any consumer issue does exist its between the OP and the management company to bring the matter to their attention and get them to bring the matter up with the waste company.

As they have since changed companys its a non-issue at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cquinner

As im a shareholder in the management company, then i am a direct customer one could argue. The concept of being in a management company and knowing how to deal with vendors is relatively new and there are areas that are not understood.

Your point about bringing my own recycling to a bring centre was not only condescending and smug but you have also missed the point. When one is in a management company contract, you have no choice but to pay fees for services such as waste removal. Why should one pay for a service that is not being carried out correctly? One shouldnt have to bring recycling elsewhere if one is already paying for the service. One has the right as a paying consumer for the service to be carried out correctly (incidentally i did do so for months, but thought the problem was resolved a few weeks ago, but wasn't).

Also, The waste companies charge more for General waste removal per bin than they do for recycling bin removal. That is why they have been taking all bins to be general waste, because they can charge us more for it! Isnt this a rip-off? Its a total scam!

My point was to highlight the problem existing. Im pretty sure that they are likely to be carrying on this dodgy practice elsewhere. The fact that we have switched waste removal companies only means we might be saved from the cowboys. Others should be aware of the practice. That is why i was mentioning the issue. So its not a non-issue!
    Thanks for your 'input', but my intention was not to get into a debate about whether this is a direct consumer issue or should be dealt with by management company.
    My intention was to highlight the fact that the Waste disposal company was ripping us off!

Fine that you deleted the company name, however i did have 'direct proof' - I witnessed it myself! Isn't that direct proof? And I have taken photos. I also have direct quotes from the bin collectors that state what they were doing.

peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I thought landfills were expensive to use and that recyclables can be sold on for profits so why would they do it? Were they charging you alot more for general waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I thought landfills were expensive to use and that recyclables can be sold on for profits so why would they do it? Were they charging you alot more for general waste?
    That idea is already mentioned in the 5th sentence of the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

slimjimmc wrote: »
    That idea is already mentioned in the 5th sentence of the OP.

They charge more but it also costs them more. They have to pay for landfill space and don't get to sell on the recyclables. Which is why I asked how much more because it doesn't seem to me to make sense, that it would be profitable enough to openly screw over customers and risk loosing them (and the word of mouth too) for a for quid extra. Hell if general waste is more profitable why didn't they a) put up the price of getting rid of recyclables or b) balance the prices so they make the same profit but less from general waste and more from recycling? After all it's their seemingly messed up pricing system which is what they are then going out of the way to try and circumvent. Why not just change the price?

Seems like a f'd up business plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cquinner wrote: »
    I live in a area in dublin 11 that is run by a management company. our bins are the large communal bins, a mixture of both general rubbish and recycling. For a few years now <SNIP> have been deliberately taking away the recycling waste in the general waste truck. I have confronted them several times about this and they continue to do it. Apparantly they can charge more money per bin for General Waste. I have even seen them deliberately 'contaminate' the recycling bins by taking rubbish from the general waste bins and throwing on top of the recycling bins, just so they can claim that the recycling bin is 'contaminated' and therefore they 'can't' recycle it. Its a total sham. Finally my new management company has terminated the contract with <SNIP> waste. It cant come quick enough for those bunch of cowboys. They simply laughed at me today as they poured two large bins of genuine recycling waste into the general waste truck. So frustrating when you are genuinely trying to recycle. For anyone using <SNIP> for collective bin collection, i suggest you watch what they are doing and what they are charging you for. They are cowboys and ripping us off for years.

Not meaning to sound smart, but how are you 100% sure the waste isn't being contaminated? I know several people who use communal bins, in different developments, and while they do separate waste lots of others don't. Also some bin trucks have separate compartments.

Advertisement