Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting smell of dog wee out of carpets.

Options
  • 11-08-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

My rescue dog has had quite a few accidents in the past and now the carpet smells :(
    Does anyone have any tried and tested methods for removing the smell? I have a vax carpet shampooer and would love to hear of any concoctions that could help remove the whiff!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

I have used this method and find it works well.
    Works best on spot problems rather than the entire carpet.
    Maybe use the water/vinegar mix in your vax and then do the the other steps
    in sections, until eventually have the whole thing done?

A quick google will throw up lots of suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

steam cleaner

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

ohmfg.... where did you get the hydrogen peroxide?
    Thanks for the suggestions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭LJD10

My rescue dog has had quite a few accidents in the past and now the carpet smells :(
    Does anyone have any tried and tested methods for removing the smell? I have a vax carpet shampooer and would love to hear of any concoctions that could help remove the whiff!!!

I am still in the process of house training my dog but he did have a few accidents on the carpet at the start. I use this stuff from the petshop called GetOff. It has a strong citrus smell of it that supposingly elimates the smell of dog pee. It smells strong when you first spray it but it goes after a while. I have even used it outside to get rid of any lingering smells outside the back door. I usually spray disinfectant spray first give it a wipe or a brush then give it a wipe down with GetOff Spray. It definitely works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭carleigh

You could try sprinkling a bag of baking soda on your carpet and leaving for a half hour before you hoover it......worked a treat for us in the past, also gets rid of the doggie smell. Its good if you have someone in the house who has allergies/asthma as it is gentle and there is no scent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 ohmfg

ohmfg.... where did you get the hydrogen peroxide?
    Thanks for the suggestions :)

Any chemist should stock it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Biological washing powder or liquid mixed with a bit of water will kill the wee smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

baking soda or cat litter. They both absorb odours :)

Advertisement