Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nepal Tea Houses & bedding

Options
  • 10-08-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi

Planning on spending 2 weeks approx trekking in Annapurna in October using tea houses as we go. Question is regarding the bedding in the tea houses - understand they are basic and blankets etc are available. Question is whether we should bring all or a combination of sleeping bag, liner and mat or is that overkill. Logic is to ensure warmth and protection from bed bugs!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Thanks

Moss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Hey, I did the EBC trek last autumn and you should definitely bring a 4-season sleeping bag. U can rent one in Kathmandu for a euro or 2 a day if you don't want to bring one with you. I would probably bring a liner if I was going with this option.

All the tea houses had beds so you wont need a mat unless the place is jammed and you have to sleep with the guides and porters. Some tea houses give blankets which you can throw over your sleeping bag on the really cold nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I did Annapurna Sanctuary one February a few years back. We had two sleeping bags I could zip together with my missus and combined with the blankets they had in the tea houses and the thermals / fleeces I had with me we were fine. If you're doing the sanctuary you will prob only spend one or two nights in the higher camps. Up to them its not so cold.

If you're doing the circuit (prob not if you've only two weeks) there's at least one very high pass iirc, and it would be a lot colder up there.

Basically just bring a decent and lightweight sleeping bag and you'll be fine. I'd consider getting good thermals which are very breathable and dry out easily. I had these and it made things a lot easier. You walk all day in the sun and sweat. Then the sun goes down and it gets mighty cold mighty quickly so you need things that dry easily.

Remember to pick up iodine tablets in Pokhara, easily gotten. I bought knocked off North Face water bottle holders for about a euro and they were one of the best things I ever bought, use them everywhere, hot or cold weather (they keep a frozen bottle of water cold all day in 35 degrees!).

Enjoy it either way, was one of the best things I ever did, and Nepal one of the best places I've ever visited. If you get a chance head down to Chitwan, couple of hours south of Pokhara I think, very good safari park well worth a visit if you can fit it in.

Advertisement