Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

apprenticeship motor mechanics!!!!!

• 10-08-2011 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

not really sure where to post this:(

hi all im interested in cars so i really want get a apprenticeship in motor mechanics with FAS:eek:

so im just looking for some advice on is , it a good idea? and how to go about registering and stuff like that ...... ect.

also id like people that got a apprenticeship in mechanics if you could post your story

thanks
    SS90

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

You have to get an apprenticeship first from a garage and then they will register you if they keep you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Plug wrote: »
    You have to get an apprenticeship first from a garage and then they will register you if they keep you.

Yes^^,

Also, don't tell them that you use the alias of superstoner90,

they won't like it :P

Best of luck with the search, I missed out on an apprenticeship with BMW 5 years ago as the buildings were giving me a fatter wallet :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Contact Atlas Autoservice's head office if your in the Dublin area, we are taking on apprentices at the moment but I've no idea how many places there are or if they have been filled but worth a try.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

Contact Atlas Autoservice's head office if your in the Dublin area, we are taking on apprentices at the moment but I've no idea how many places there are or if they have been filled but worth a try.;)

well im at the sligo area:( thanks anyway ;):)

Okay so i have to get a garage to take me on first and then i head to fas and get a form or something? , and if they dont keep me il be fraily f*cked as im guessing that alot of mechanics wont have much work now a days....but if that happens will i have go to a different garage/mechanic ?!?!

• Advertisement

well im at the sligo area:( thanks anyway ;):)

No worries, best of luck with it.

Yes^^,

Also, don't tell them that you use the alias of superstoner90,

they won't like it :P

Best of luck with the search, I missed out on an apprenticeship with BMW 5 years ago as the buildings were giving me a fatter wallet :o

haha oh the user name? do you like it? sure who dosent enjoy a joint now and again :D:p apprenticeship with BMW? that would be serious crack...but not much work in the building trade no more than mechanics :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Don't suppose off hand you know there email address or is it just that form on there website?

Just used the form there, would be an interesting owl job and I say the day would fly in if your kept busy all day.

msg11 wrote: »
    Don't suppose off hand you know there email address or is it just that form on there website?

Just used the form there, would be an interesting owl job and I say the day would fly in if your kept busy all day.

i said ulready i live in SLIGO:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

well ... sometimes need leave parents, friends, change living place for education (as i did many times in my live), as it is most important part of your live... unless you have already partner/wife with bunch of kids.

• Advertisement

Mar4ix wrote: »
    well ... sometimes need leave parents, friends, change living place for education (as i did many times in my live), as it is most important part of your live... unless you have already partner/wife with bunch of kids.

i dont really have wife/kids or any of the above...i just like sligo...i would move with friends but none of them are moving so i dont think id move to DUBLIN..just for a mechanics apprenticship....:(

i said ulready i live in SLIGO:mad:

I think he was asking for himself not you..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

i dont really have wife/kids or any of the above...i just like sligo...i would move with friends but none of them are moving so i dont think id move to DUBLIN..just for a mechanics apprenticship....:(

Let the mountain come to Mohammed eh?

"just for a mechanics apprenticeship?" - sounds to me like this is a half-assed whim. It's either something you really want to do, or it isn't.

With 15% unemployment in this country the world isn't your oyster. Take it from a former super-stoner, nothing will happen until you make it happen.

I think he was asking for himself not you..:D

oh Sh*t my bad:o

MrDerp wrote: »
    Let the mountain come to Mohammed eh?

"just for a mechanics apprenticeship?" - sounds to me like this is a half-assed whim. It's either something you really want to do, or it isn't.

With 15% unemployment in this country the world isn't your oyster. Take it from a former super-stoner, nothing will happen until you make it happen.

well i do really want to do it.. i wouldent like to move to dublin for it...:(:eek:...i love sligo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

pesonally i'd up sticks and go abroad now for a fooking mechanics apprenticeship!

jaysus... 'won't leave sligo unless me buddies are going'... ffs :rolleyes: do you want this handed to you on a a plate.

andyseadog wrote: »
    pesonally i'd up sticks and go abroad now for a fooking mechanics apprenticeship!

jaysus... 'won't leave sligo unless me buddies are going'... ffs :rolleyes: do you want this handed to you on a a plate.
    Probably pure paranoid from all the weed smoking sure...

Hey superstoner ya can always go back to Sligo on the weekends so mammy can wash your cloths and cook you proper dinners. Thats what I used to do when I was in FAS, the beans on toast five days in a row was a bloody killer until I discovered Lidl were selling microwavable Sunday roasts.

Hey superstoner ya can always go back to Sligo on the weekends so mammy can wash your cloths and cook you proper dinners. Thats what I used to do when I was in FAS, the beans on toast five days in a row was a bloody killer until I discovered Lidl were selling microwavable Sunday roasts.

i dont like where this is going...:eek:..ya i know its bad when i say that i dont want to leave sligo..but there is a fas center half an hour away from me...but i dont want to start an apprenticship if i going to be laid off ... its f*cked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

andyseadog wrote: »

well it would be nice:eek:................................buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut thats not going to happen..if the apprenticship doesent work out ..i was accutaly going down under to work in the diamond mines..but im going to try for the apprenticship first...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Woah woah woah hold the **** on..... Microwavable roast you say? Is it any use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Very interested in this myself. Had thought about it a few times but figured with the recession and whatnot there woudlnt be anywhere looking for apprentices. Was always much more interested in being a mechanic than what I ended up doing (plumbing).

Is the head office at one of the branches or somewhere else? Not having much luck on the website. Having said that its probably staring me in the face. :)

msg11 wrote: »

Did you just use the normal "contact us" form on their site?

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Woah woah woah hold the **** on..... Microwavable roast you say? Is it any use?
    Lethal.
    article-1255061-088844B6000005DC-645_468x474.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The thing about somewhere like Atlas is you'll get to learn on a variety of cars rather than just one marque which will always be a bonus. On the downside you could end up working with Nissan Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lethal.
    article-1255061-088844B6000005DC-645_468x474.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it doesnt end up looking much like that picture when its on the plate though?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Did you just use the normal "contact us" form on their site?

Yeah just used the form on there site, didn't hear anything back yet e-mailed them last night, either they don't check them daily or just seen it and didn't bother replying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

i dont like where this is going...:eek:..ya i know its bad when i say that i dont want to leave sligo..but there is a fas center half an hour away from me...but i dont want to start an apprenticship if i going to be laid off ... its f*cked up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is this the future standard of car mechanics we can expect to be working on our cars in a few years and their level of motivation ? . . . very reassuring. :rolleyes:

Well first of all, while waiting on an apprenticeship, the very least you should be doing is buy a cheap old car, be taking it completely apart step by step, and figuring out exactly how every part works and why before moving onto the next, then and putting it back together again. Day after day if needs be. At night you should be researching and learning everything there is to know on the internet about every system on modern cars, from brakes, to suspension, to fuel systems etc., and who manufactures what parts from Lucas to Bosch. There is no excuse for not getting stuck into your future trade, job or no job.

If you don't get stuck in as above, you will just be yet another one of the countless dreamer/bluffer wanna be's with a 1001 excuses for their mediocrity.

If your going to do something in life, do it right, or don't bother your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The thing about somewhere like Atlas is you'll get to learn on a variety of cars rather than just one marque which will always be a bonus. On the downside you could end up working with Nissan Doctor

Thats true but imagine ending up working in Urban...:pac:

Seriously though there is lads heading to Oz and the likes for jobs so I cannot see whats wrong with moving somewhere in this country. I was quite happy leaving Mammy at 18 to work in Co. Meath.:)

Very interested in this myself. Had thought about it a few times but figured with the recession and whatnot there woudlnt be anywhere looking for apprentices. Was always much more interested in being a mechanic than what I ended up doing (plumbing).

Is the head office at one of the branches or somewhere else? Not having much luck on the website. Having said that its probably staring me in the face. :)

The head office is in the new Finglas branch. The MD is looking after the new apprenticeships and he is away for a week or two(not sure) so you may not get a reply about this untill he's back.

It'd be great if you were working with me as an apprentice, I could use someone to make the tea regularly:P

Your spot on about not working in a dealer though, I made a conscious decision never to work in a single marque garage as in an indy garage the broad array of vehicles and problems they suffer means that you never stop seeing new problems and more importantly, never stop learning.

Monty. wrote: »
    So is this the future standard of car mechanics we can expect to be working on our cars in a few years and their level of motivation ? . . . very reassuring. :rolleyes:

Well first of all, while waiting on an apprenticeship, the very least you should be doing is buy a cheap old car, be taking it completely apart step by step, and figuring out exactly how every part works and why before moving onto the next, then and putting it back together again. Day after day if needs be. At night you should be researching and learning everything there is to know on the internet about every system on modern cars, from brakes, to suspension, to fuel systems etc., and who manufactures what parts from Lucas to Bosch. There is no excuse for not getting stuck into your future trade, job or no job.

If you don't get stuck in as above, you will just be yet another one of the countless dreamer/bluffer wanna be's with a 1001 excuses for their mediocrity.

If your going to do something in life, do it right, or don't bother your hole.

i was doing that the last few weeks and i know how the 4 stroke engine works and the 2 stroke engine works , pistons and how the fuel get in and egnites and goes out the exhaust, how the suspention and clutch , air con , brakes , turbo and manual transmittion works...and god honest truth is that im 100% interested in mechanics ...that id love to do but i only know the basics so far...but sure i guess it takes time...:D (if thats even makes sence)

• Advertisement
Advertisement