Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Book

Options
  • 10-08-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

i found an old book in the attic of my grans house it dated 1874 just wondering is there any value to it. Its not in great condition lord byrons works its called

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

From your description I'd say it's very unlikely to be worth much.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

You should get it check out anyway. You never know, it could be worth something. I remember reading about some paintings some man found in a dump in Cork, thought they were rubbish but liked them anyway, his daughter took them to the BBC antiques show 10 years later and found out they were worth 1.5 million!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 over30

i agree with ellie. my brother has some very old books, they are in just ok condition but are worth several hundred so i think you should get your book checked out by an antiquarian book dealer. sorry i can't direct you to one, my brother is in the north so he hasnt checked out anything in the south. good luck with that hope you can get good news. i think lord byrons books/poems are highly regarded.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    You should get it check out anyway. You never know, it could be worth something. I remember reading about some paintings some man found in a dump in Cork, thought they were rubbish but liked them anyway, his daughter took them to the BBC antiques show 10 years later and found out they were worth 1.5 million!

That can't be true. The highest valuation ever given on that show was £1m for a scale model of the 'Angel of the North.'

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

over30 wrote: »
    i agree with ellie. my brother has some very old books, they are in just ok condition but are worth several hundred so i think you should get your book checked out by an antiquarian book dealer. sorry i can't direct you to one, my brother is in the north so he hasnt checked out anything in the south. good luck with that hope you can get good news. i think lord byrons books/poems are highly regarded.:)

It's not just the fact of the book being 150 years old or whatever that would give it value, it's details like whether it's a first edition, or a limited edition, or it's illustrated by an artist of note, or it has been signed by the author -and of course the condition of the book as well. OP's description makes the book sound as if it is just a late 19th century collected volume of Byron's works, and I would guess there were plenty such editions of those. But by all means take it into an antiquarian bookshop, nothing to lose.

• Advertisement

Kinski wrote: »
    That can't be true. The highest valuation ever given on that show was £1m for a scale model of the 'Angel of the North.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8071461.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

his daughter took them to the BBC antiques show 10 years later and found out they were worth 1.5 million!
    The rare painting was expected to fetch more than $150,000

Just slightly less than £1.5m.

The other Homer paintings they sold at Sotheby's sold around the 2m mark. They were expecting this to do the same but the sale was stopped at the last moment as the painting was reported as stolen. Check out episode 2 of Fake or Fortune on the BBC iPlayer.

Advertisement