Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti vandal paint-cat destroyed!

Options
  • 10-08-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Let the cats out as usual yesterday evening for a few hours.They dont usually stray too far, just a little wander about. I live in an apartment complex where pets are tolerated luckily by the Mgt Company and most of my neighbours which is great.

Beanie came back in covered in "anti vandal paint" that literally must have been applied to the boundary wall of my block while i was at work. Its black and tarry and was a complete nightmare to try and wash off him. Hes still manky today.You can imagine what trying to wash him was like :eek: The Mgt Co.s reasoning for it is "to deter thieves", yet the entrance to the estate is wide open to anyone and everyone :confused:

Im furious!:mad:We got no warning that this substance was being applied to the wall and if this is a permanent fixture it means my cats are going to be destroyed everytime they go out (if they dont cop on not to walk on it).

Has anyone any experience of this? Im presuming and hoping this is non toxic to animals (they didnt know the answer to this when i asked them) but if my cats come back trailing this stuff around my block i cant imagine my very tolerant neighbours being tolerant for too long. Theres also numerous stray cats around the area who sit on peoples balconies etc. Has anyone any advice...legally or otherwise??!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Here is a website with information on similar product. Not sure if the product remains wet, although I would be very surprised if this is the case. Is there any wet paint signs erected?
    http://www.paintshop.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Not sure if the product remains wet,
    Apparently it does as the point of it is to make it slippery and transferable to thieves clothes and hands etc. Im reading that obviously its toxic with long term exposure by ingestion and a skin irritant so i am FREAKED that i will now have to keep my cats indoors. Beanie god love him isnt the smartest tool in the toolbox :p so i really hopes he cops on that this is not to be walked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

hey here's an idea, be a responsible owner and keep your cats in!! cannot believe you are complaining about this when your being irrisponsible in the first place. if something happens your cat or it does something it shouldnt when its out its your responsibility

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im reading that obviously its toxic with long term exposure by ingestion and a skin irritant

The H&S info does not suggest any risk:

http://www.paintshop.ie/Anti-Vandal-System/Anti-Intruder-Paint/Safety-Sheet.aspx?guid=bf34ca6e-b0f8-457f-85f7-38f9a6698133

The paint is black carbon powder mixed with a solvent. The solvent is the toxic part but that should evaporate off after application.

I would talk to your neighbours - maybe drop a note in each door. If several neighbours agree then insist that the management company remove it or you will not pay your fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

hey here's an idea, be a responsible owner and keep your cats in!! cannot believe you are complaining about this when your being irrisponsible in the first place. if something happens your cat or it does something it shouldnt when its out its your responsibility

To be honest I feel a responsible cat owner should leave there cats out. They are hunting animals and will get very bored stuck in doors all day.

• Advertisement

Limericks wrote: »
    To be honest I feel a responsible cat owner should leave there cats out. They are hunting animals and will get very bored stuck in doors all day.
    to sh!t in other peoples gardens and cause trouble around the place? I walked into the kitchen one day and there was a feckin cat on the counter that belonged to a neighbour who didnt give a ****e and let their cat do as it pleased, like every other cat owner round here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

to sh!t in other peoples gardens and cause trouble around the place? I walked into the kitchen one day and there was a feckin cat on the counter that belonged to a neighbour who didnt give a ****e and let their cat do as it pleased, like every other cat owner round here

cat's aren't dogs. In the eyes of the law (almost 100% sure) cats are never domesticated. They are always seen as wild. Therefore the owner of the cat is never responsible in law for what a cat does. This does not however protect the cat from being destroyed if it attacks someone without provocation.

Also I am not a cat owner but aren't cats very fickle also about where they do there "business" isn't it odd that they would go in peoples gardens in plain view?

Also maybe you should be responsible and close any openings that a cat can get into? A burgler could also find a way in. If it's a cat door then get one of those chip activated ones.

Limericks wrote: »
    cat's aren't dogs. In the eyes of the law (almost 100% sure) cats are never domesticated. They are always seen as wild. Therefore the owner of the cat is never responsible in law for what a cat does. This does not however protect the cat from being destroyed if it attacks someone without provocation.

Also I am not a cat owner but aren't cats very fickle also about where they do there "business" isn't it odd that they would go in peoples gardens in plain view?

Also maybe you should be responsible and close any openings that a cat can get into? A burgler could also find a way in. If it's a cat door then get one of those chip activated ones.
    I no they are not dogs believe me. some of the cats around here go anywhere, in flower pots, on the grass and some dont bury it, the next door neighbour has a concrete garden closed off at the side which often has crap on it, cant be from a dog because they couldnt get in.

Ah yeah thats the problem us being irrisponsible leavin the kitchen window open during the summer, while we are in the house:rolleyes:

I dont have cats so dont have a cat flap. Between cats and dogs being let out to roam my patients are running thin tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Is there any wet paint signs erected?
    http://www.paintshop.ie/

Why? Can cats read??? :D

I was having trouble with a cat roaming in my garden near my motorcycle. It kept triggering my security lights and I used to wake up with a start.

I got a cage, baited it with a can of tuna, and when caught, dropped it off up Sally Gap. No more cat problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Keep it on topic - infractions issued. This thread is about anti vandal paint and the management company not informing the locals.

Superscouse post like that again advocating ''trapping'' and disposing of a cat and you'll be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Swarfega is the best stuff for removing anything tarry or oily from animals coats.

Not going to go into the whole cats indoor or outdoor argument, better folk than I, with actual qualifications in cat behaviour have been unable to convince those that don't want convincing that cats do not need to be outside to live fulfilled lives, so I have no illusion that I will fair any better :rolleyes:

However, I do think it is a little presumptious of someone who doesn't even own a cat to go around laying down the law about it :pac:

Oh give me a break. I knew id get this response eventually. Im not here to debate the pros and cons of whether cats should stay indoors or outdoors. Its been done to death on this forum. I am fully aware of the risk of letting them outside and also will fully accept any responsibility if the cause any problems to my neighbours. Beanie is collared,tagged,chipped,vaccinated and wormed regularly.Irresponsible? I dont think so! If anyone has had an issue with him then i wouldve heard by now and accepted the consequences.

My issue is with the fact that a permanent substance has been placed on the wall surrounding my home that has been paid for using my fees, that ive had no prior knowledge of. Its also disgusting to look at. This isnt just soil here. The cat was filthy and still is and i have absolutely no knowledge of what this product contains either did my Mgt Co. when i very politely spoke to them today. I have EVERY right to be concerned for the safety of my pet as would you be if it was your child for example arriving back with a black tar substance all over them with no knowledge of what it was. Yes,i understand they're exposed to a multitude of risks when left unsupervised but that does not mean i cannot question and worry about what my pet has and will possibly ingest.
    Discodog wrote: »
    The H&S info does not suggest any risk:

http://www.paintshop.ie/Anti-Vandal-System/Anti-Intruder-Paint/Safety-Sheet.aspx?guid=bf34ca6e-b0f8-457f-85f7-38f9a6698133

The paint is black carbon powder mixed with a solvent. The solvent is the toxic part but that should evaporate off after application.

I would talk to your neighbours - maybe drop a note in each door. If several neighbours agree then insist that the management company remove it or you will not pay your fees.
    Thanks for that Discodog, its just the last page that has me confused a bit.
    wrote:
    Toxic: danger of very serious irreversible effects through inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed

Ive emailed my complaint asking for details of the product. My cats dont wander too far in general and this particular wall is one they sit on on a daily basis. I can only hope they have enough sense to stay away from it. I dont think im asking too much by wanting to know what this stuff is am i? Indoor cat owners can call me irresponsible if you like,but im not here to debate that, just if anyone has any knowledge of this product.

the way i see it is you wouldnt have the problem if the cats were inside, we'll leave it at that so.

You said the managment company didnt know about it? Maybe a neighbour who doesnt want your cats there every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thanks for that Discodog, its just the last page that has me confused a bit.

Well as far as I can see that info on the last page refers to the wet paint in the tin. There are two health considerations. Obviously swallowing wet pain would not be a good idea. But the environmental concerns are referring to the dried (semi dried) paint as in what danger it poses to wildlife etc.

You really need a neighbours kid to get covered in it :eek:.

Btw the only cleaner that we ever used to remove oil & tar on wildlife was Fairy Liquid (the original plain green one & not an other wash liquid). Apparently tests were done & it was milder than baby shampoo !

You said the managment company didnt know about it?
    The girl i spoke to was aware it was applied but didnt know the name of the product. She rang the person who applied it who said they didnt know the ingredients or whether it was toxic to animals. Her words were "animals werent even considered".

All i can do is ask them what exactly it is,hope its definitely non toxic, show my dissent at its application and hope my cats (the other one is more savvy than Beanie) stays away from it....because everyone knows the drama that goes with washing a cat.:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Butter is good for removing tar from fur so it might help with this paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

all rights and no responsibilities like all the dog owners who want to use others gardens for toilets and get the snot when reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

Let the cats out as usual yesterday evening for a few hours.They dont usually stray too far, just a little wander about. I live in an apartment complex where pets are tolerated luckily by the Mgt Company and most of my neighbours which is great.

Beanie came back in covered in "anti vandal paint" that literally must have been applied to the boundary wall of my block while i was at work. Its black and tarry and was a complete nightmare to try and wash off him. Hes still manky today.You can imagine what trying to wash him was like :eek: The Mgt Co.s reasoning for it is "to deter thieves", yet the entrance to the estate is wide open to anyone and everyone :confused:

Im furious!:mad:We got no warning that this substance was being applied to the wall and if this is a permanent fixture it means my cats are going to be destroyed everytime they go out (if they dont cop on not to walk on it).

Has anyone any experience of this? Im presuming and hoping this is non toxic to animals (they didnt know the answer to this when i asked them) but if my cats come back trailing this stuff around my block i cant imagine my very tolerant neighbours being tolerant for too long. Theres also numerous stray cats around the area who sit on peoples balconies etc. Has anyone any advice...legally or otherwise??!!

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to find cat sh*t in your garden every morning?? it's disgusting..i have to put up with it everyday without fail...without warning too i might add!!..my neighbours dont care about their cat's crap in my garden..and you can complain about anti-vandal paint..legal rights etc..c'mon..give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Do you have any idea how annoying it is to find cat sh*t in your garden every morning?? it's disgusting..i have to put up with it everyday without fail...without warning too i might add!!..my neighbours dont care about their cat's crap in my garden..and you can complain about anti-vandal paint..legal rights etc..c'mon..give me a break.

Have the same problem in my back garden where the kids play, the front garden is also littered with cat ****, I never considered using anti-vandal paint until now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

yep it works a treat. although i dont like using it. but it has to be done as i have a veg garden..the over the counter products like gel,,pepper etc just dont work.

• Advertisement

The girl i spoke to was aware it was applied but didnt know the name of the product. She rang the person who applied it who said they didnt know the ingredients or whether it was toxic to animals. Her words were "animals werent even considered".

All i can do is ask them what exactly it is,hope its definitely non toxic, show my dissent at its application and hope my cats (the other one is more savvy than Beanie) stays away from it....because everyone knows the drama that goes with washing a cat.:D
    Sorry read your post wrong i get ya now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Clearly I need to write bigger when I am posting because people obviously don't read.

Keep it ON TOPIC - this thread is NOT about how many cats poo in your garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

You could always get this for your cat:

cat-costume.jpg

If would stop the paint getting on it's fur and your cat would look like a badass.

All you'd have to do then is wash it's little outfit.

Advertisement