Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Restaurants in Dublin City Centre

Options
  • 10-08-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Has anyone tried Saba, award winning Thai and Vietnamese restaurant in Clarendon St and can you tell me what it is like? I would like to bring my partner to a Thai restaurant for his birthday and would love to have some recommendations, I'm not looking for luxury, just somewhere that is good food at a good price.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There used to a great Thai called Papaya on Ely Place until about a year ago when they shut quite suddenly. I used to love it there. Great food and it was good value too.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Oleander wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Saba, award winning Thai and Vietnamese restaurant in Clarendon St and can you tell me what it is like? I would like to bring my partner to a Thai restaurant for his birthday and would love to have some recommendations, I'm not looking for luxury, just somewhere that is good food at a good price.

Saba is good indeed.
    Loads around, Koh and Diep Ranelagh are two of my faves.
    Siam Thai is nice too.

Koh probably my fave of these. Great selection of drinks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Saba is great! I eat there occasionally, and get take out from their place in Rathmines all the time.

Nothing comes close to Diep Le Shaker on Pembroke Lane (off Baggot Street) though. The food there is unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

cosmic wrote: »

Nothing comes close to Diep Le Shaker on Pembroke Lane (off Baggot Street) though. The food there is unbelievable!

I'd humbly disagree. Found the food to be quite bland, and massively overpriced. Celtic Tiger type place.

Baan Thai in Ballsbridge has lovely food, authentic, and more realistically priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Sergeant wrote: »
    I'd humbly disagree. Found the food to be quite bland, and massively overpriced. Celtic Tiger type place.

couldn't think of a better way to describe siam thai either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

OP - Saba is a great restaurant. Easily one of my favourite places to eat in the city.

The food is top notch.
    The service is very good.
    There's usually a good atmosphere.
    Nice ambiance.
    Good value for money.

I've eaten in Koh and Siam Thai also, and while both are lovely, particularly the latter, I'd prefer Saba.

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I hate when you only get 2 skewers as the starter at any Thai. It really needs to be 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

Some good feedback there. I've been to Siam Thai in Malahide and it was nice, the earlybird was very good value but that was a year or so ago, for some reason they don't or didn't have a menu online two days ago when I last checked.
    Saba looks expensive and I've been to Koh before and that was nice. Just looked on Diep Le Shaker's website and they have three locations, Blackrock, Ranelagh and Drumcondra. I'd like to try the Drumcondra restaurant at some stage. I really want to stay central to Grafton St/Henry St though so I might book Koh, partner hasn't been there.
    Thanks for all the feedback./recommendations.

In fact just looking at Saba now, they only have one option in the curry section for vegetarians and it's the same price as the meat ones!! And no early bird on Saturdays, nah give this one a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Me and my OH are both veggie and the Saba veggie noodles are delicious. We'd normally have the Pad Thai Jay or the Chiang Mai (with cashews added). Nom!

• Advertisement

cosmic wrote: »
    Me and my OH are both veggie and the Saba veggie noodles are delicious. We'd normally have the Pad Thai Jay or the Chiang Mai (with cashews added). Nom!

My partner usually likes a veggie red curry and I didn't see that as an option on Saba menu, wouldn't go for a noodle dish I know that, I would tho! Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭conjon

OP, have you called Saba? My wife and I were there recently for our first year anniversary, as it's our favourite restaurant. In relation to early birds, they most certainly do. My wife isn't one for late meals, so if memory serves me, we got 2 courses for 15, and I think you can get 3 courses for 20. We had a table booked for 4, and didn't have to be out until 6.00pm. A word of warning, you do need to book early. Saba does a fantastic yellow curry.

Conor.

Hi Conor

I haven't phoned them, I'm waiting to hear back on other plans and had sort of made up my mind to go with Koh, I've been there before (if the plans don't work). Looking on the Saba website earlier the prices did seem expensive - 11Euro for a starter, that's as far as I got I'm afraid..
    I'm also not looking for anywhere with an intimate setting - want somewhere casual and with a bit of space. Most times these restaurants the tables are on top of each other. And I know Koh when I was there (though it was for Lunch) it was spacious.

I'm not really asking for much...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hugejeans

If you want space avoid Saba, was there a good while ago, food was ok but overpriced and felt like I was sharing the table with the couples on either side.

I'n not very organised at all -- I mentioned that Saba's prices were €11 for starters, some of them are but they start from €6.50 upwards which is grand, I was actually looking at something on the Koh menu and even their starters are similar prices (I think I honed in on the expensive starters).

I did just ring Saba and they don't do an Early Bird menu at all I was told, so some changes to when Connor was there. They do do some sort of menu deal but it's only during the weekdays.

I did book a table on his advice as they didn't have many tables left. But I may be doing something else that day, just waiting for confirmation so I may be cancelling.

I emailed Siam Thai about an early bird and menus etc and they got back to me, they do an EB and if its the same as last time, you can order anything off the main menu bar two things which was Lobster and one other thing. The only thing is, from the pictures online Siam Thai in Andrew St, looks quite small, much smaller than Saba. Saba don't do an EB or any deal at weekends so that could be quite expensive. Though I would prefer to get fabulous food at a cost rather than average food that is cheaper as it is a birthday treat, so it's either Saba or Siam Thai...

Advertisement