Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable routing question, through BB for front mech, how & compatible with Gore?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

So as the title suggests, on my Orbea Orca, the front derailleur cable routes under the bottom bracket and up through the carbon frame just behind the bottom bracket where the chain stays meet.

First of all, I cannot seem to find any info on the web about how to do maintenance on cables with this style of routing. I do not know is there a guide in the frame joining one hole to the other, and am afraid if I pull out the old cable that I will never get one back in. Any help?

Also, to make matters worse I bought Gore Ride-On sealed cables and successfully installed the rear derailleur cable but am worried that maybe the protective lining may not fit through these tiny holes in the frame to reach the front derailleur. That is if I manage to get any new cable through there in the first place!

I know the LBS changed my front derailleur cable last time so it can be done, just how I do not know! Thanks in advance :)

See photos below

170203.jpg

170204.jpg

170205.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Gore cables will definitely fit, the tolerances aren't that close for cabling. Don't know about routing on carbon frames, but from the last picture it looks like there's a metal guide running the top to bottom. But that could just be a small insert which stops the cable from rubbing on the carbon fibre frame.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

First of all, I cannot seem to find any info on the web about how to do maintenance on cables with this style of routing. I do not know is there a guide in the frame joining one hole to the other, and am afraid if I pull out the old cable that I will never get one back in. Any help?

My frame is routed the same way for the front mech cable. It just slides through, i.e. there is an internal guide. Never been a problem for me.

I've no experience with Gore cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

Right job done, turns out there is some sort of guide in the frame, and the gore sealed liner coating barely fitted with a squeeze and once a bit of gunk was cleared out from the canal!

Thread can be closed or deleted! Cheers

Advertisement