Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Voltage and Amperage on laptop charger

Options
  • 10-08-2011 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi i have a laptop here and the charger is dead,on the laptop it says the charger should be 20v 3.25a

I have a spare charger that will fit and have teated it and it works but the rating on it are 19V 6.32A.

My question is will i damage the laptop if i use this on a regular basis would i be better to try and source one with the same ratings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

The amps don't matter so much here but the voltage should be close. I presume the laptop battery is about 15v though so the extra 5v is probably to ensure top charge. I couldn't say 100%, but 19v shouldn't do you any harm. Just keep an eye on it for the first charge or two to make sure the charger/battery aren't getting crazy hot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

There's a good chance you'll blow capacitors on the main board with too much voltage.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭maccer666

mawk wrote: »
    The amps don't matter so much here but the voltage should be close. I presume the laptop battery is about 15v though so the extra 5v is probably to ensure top charge. I couldn't say 100%, but 19v shouldn't do you any harm. Just keep an eye on it for the first charge or two to make sure the charger/battery aren't getting crazy hot
    ok thanks for that, ill try that but hopefully ill get a more conclusive answer from someone on here,last thing i want is to fry the board

but ill be using less voltage and more amperage,is there still a danger in this?

You won't fry a capacitor, but by using a lower voltage you might blow a fuse by drawing extra current to compensate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

mawk wrote: »

I agree with mawk - 19V shouldn't do any harm with a laptop requiring 20V.
    The voltage these adaptors put is usually only approximate (can vary up and down a little from, in your case, 19V), and the device usually also has some tolerance for this.

Aye, the original charger probably varies by more than a volt due to load when when the laptop battery is either charged or flat anyway

ok great thanks for the info, so to some up i should be fine once i keep an eye on overheating from both the charger and battery

ok great thanks for the info, so to some up i should be fine once i keep an eye on overheating from both the charger and battery

Advertisement