Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Galway Christmas Market going to run this year?

Options
  • 10-08-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I would love to go to one of the Christmas markets in Europe this year, but with time off and price, I just don't think it's gonna happen. Was thinking of going to the Galway one instead, does anyone know if it is going to run this year?

What was it like last year, is it worth going up to Galway for the weekend for? I have never been to a Christmas market before, so I would have nothing to compare it to!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It is running from the 28th of November to the 18th of December this year.

The atmospheric mini-town land will be a gift for the senses featuring traditional Bavarian and Irish Stalls, selling quality goods, to be enjoyed by all the family. Seventy wooden chalets will be constructed; retailing food, beverages and goods from all over Europe with over a third of the chalets being occupied by local traders.

Traders from as far afield as Russia to Peru, USA to China, along with a whole range of traders from around Europe, and not forgetting the trader from Lapland, will be setting up stalls in the Christmas Village.

This year’s Christmas Market will be taken over by the locally-based operator behind the 2009 Volvo Ocean Race and that was a big success.

The organisers promise there will be a bigger Christmas atmosphere, better designed entrances and less concentration on food this year.

The market will also house the all important ‘Santa’s Grotto’ with proceeds going to the ISPCC and Enable Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

This sounds brilliant. Must make a trip to Galway to see this. Pity it doesn't last til Christmas Eve. But I suppose the traders have to go home too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

hondasam wrote: »
    The organisers promise there will be a bigger Christmas atmosphere, better designed entrances and less concentration on food this year.

Aww :(:o

But seriously, it sounds like it could be pretty good this year. Lessons learned and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dotey

I was up in galway at the christmas market last year, it was lovely, took the kids for the weekend and there was a really lovely christmassy atmosphere about the place. We went around the market and got a few bits and then we had lovely hot mugs of hot chocolate with marshmallows. And the weather was icy and crisp as well which added to it. Im gonna go again this yr, looking forward to it now icon7.gif

Advertisement