Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook - Somebody pretending to be me

Options
  • 10-08-2011 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭

l

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you saying someone on Facebook has your name?
    Someone on facebook has everyones name I would imagine.
    Its more than you name that identify s you on social networks. Your location , your work, school, collage,friends,associations etc ..
    I don't think, or expect, facebook to entertain someone else has my name, no matter how unusual it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Id only be bothered if they are trying to copy your exact identity.

Are location job and all other details the same as yours?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Facebook are never going to entertain you just for the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

sure couldn't he go and find your account and try to do something about you "copying" his name :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

sorry for being so blunt but there's 6 billion people on the earth... unless your surname is Habujauykithsit or something "THAT" unique there's going to be someone else with your surname out there which invariably means there's going to be someone with your first name too....

not his fault he's got the same name as you - what do you expect facebook to do like,,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Ald wrote: »
    No, it's just the name. But the name is so unique that I think others would know there would most likely only be one of me. That's why I'm a little worried. The picture isn't clear enough to make sure it isn't me but shows guys drinking. I was taking part in competitions online and I know some people were using fake accounts, saw my name entering and made a replica account. I have no way of explaining that to FB...
    I know someone who works in Facebook that deals with disabling fake accounts etc. You can report the account as being a fake account at which time the account holder will need to submit proof that they are who they say they are e.g. copy of passport etc. There should be a "Report this profile" or something like that link on the profile in question. I dont think there is an issue as such unless this person is, for example, adding your friends etc. Facebook employees will be able to see this though and decide whether this person should have to prove their identity i.e. whether they are actually in any way trying to impersonate you.

• Advertisement

@john: I wouldn't be asking for advice unless I was sure it was a 'unique' name and a fake account.

But you said above
    No, it's just the name.

So are you saying no one on the planet could possibly (Even if it is a 6 billion to one chance) have the same name as you?
    Quite a feat if true.
    Have you any other evidence, besides the name being the same, to suggest this is a fake account? Is this user , in any other way, trying to pass themselves off as you.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ah look, there could be other people with your name.
    There may only be one of you who had a Facebook account before now but maybe the other bloke decided to open an account.
    He is not impersonating you, he may be using a fake name but I'm sure he didn't think "Oh, I'll pretend to be Joe Xyz".
    If a potential employer sees his Facebook page and judges you on it then they're eegits.

Surly , no matter what your name is, you don't have exclusive rights over it.
    If Facebook were to try police accounts based on who is entitled to a name they would be needing a lot more staff.
    How anyone can seriousally claim an account is fake based on name only is unbelievable TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Just make your own account with your own name, put up a profile pic and set everything to private, you don't even have to use it beyond this. Then someone won't think he is you if searching for your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If the photo is some bloke drinking at his graduation, then the job people, EVEN if they were suspicious enough to do a FB search should be able to see that the person is not the same bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

There are 7 billion people in the world.

What makes you think you are the only person on the planet that has a unique name?

FSL wrote: »
    There are 7 billion people in the world.

What makes you think you are the only person on the planet that has a unique name?
    Thats what I was trying to find out. He seems pretty definite about it.
    Maybe this is him & this is his solution

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ok, Mr. Unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

O'Rumpelstiltskin maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    unless your surname is Habujauykithsit or something "THAT" unique

Do I know you?

Advertisement