Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency services and satellite communications

Options
  • 10-08-2011 5:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi guys, my name's Jay and I just wanted to ask what's your opinion on satellite communications in terms of emergency responses?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Bit of a broad question! Can you be more specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

If it costs money we won't be getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

We use satcoms (an Iridium system) as part of the Local Authority (incl Fire Service) major emergency co-ordination system, as a back up for mobile phone and landline comms.

Pros include the fairly stable coverage outdoors and resilience.

Cons include poor or no signal indoors from handheld units, long lag times on calls, complicated dialling due to different country codes, and of course costs.

They play no role in day to day responses where standard comms are fine, but they provide excellent resilience for situations where communications infrastructure could be compromised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 themanwashere

Oh I'm sorry. Well, you know, what do you think are the opportunities for sat technology? What risks or disadvantages do you see?

civdef wrote: »
    We use satcoms (an Iridium system) as part of the Local Authority (incl Fire Service) major emergency co-ordination system, as a back up for mobile phone and landline comms.

Pros include the fairly stable coverage outdoors and resilience.

Cons include poor or no signal indoors from handheld units, long lag times on calls, complicated dialling due to different country codes, and of course costs.

They play no role in day to day responses where standard comms are fine, but they provide excellent resilience for situations where communications infrastructure could be compromised.
    Thanks for the answer. I'm doing a research on potential satellite service providers for emergency services so I was hoping your ideas would help me out (this one is in Melbourne). I've been researching on the pros and cons as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mistermiser

999nobody wrote: »
    If it costs money we won't be getting it.

Satellite communication, indeed costs a lot Jay. Have you tried researching on Intelsat Jay? They provide good coverage as satellite service providers. And since you're from Melbourne, try Newsat. It's a relatively new comp...but I've seen videos of it as well. I think it doesn't have to be complicated technology though. Maybe you can opt for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrnb_cQlvgs&feature=related

Satellite Navigation's been helpful in most instances and recently, I read that satellite imagery has done wonders to disaster relief, so perhaps improvements in the technology behind such will be crucial to emergency response.

But how much you're going to shell out, would be another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Thanks for the answer. I'm doing a research on potential satellite service providers for emergency services so I was hoping your ideas would help me out (this one is in Melbourne). I've been researching on the pros and cons as well.
    What exactly is the device you are talking about ? A phone a sat nav , an MDT?

Zambia wrote: »
    What exactly is the device you are talking about ? A phone a sat nav , an MDT?

Sat Nav, mobile satellites/vehicle mounted antenna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

An important piont is updating the devices, new estates an roads pop up all the time in the outer suburbs.

Ideally one that was hooked into the MDT so if the Unit is despatched to a job at the press of a button the MDT tells the sat nav the intended address. This is not fantasy stuff Wilson Security here actually uses this (its a bit buggy) to respond to burglar alarms. They have a combined MDT/Sat nav

Sat Navs are also useless in Central Melbourne/Sydney etc

Thanks for the answer Zambia.

• Advertisement

Satellite communication, indeed costs a lot Jay. Have you tried researching on Intelsat Jay? They provide good coverage as satellite service providers. And since you're from Melbourne, try Newsat. It's a relatively new comp...but I've seen videos of it as well. I think it doesn't have to be complicated technology though. Maybe you can opt for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrnb_cQlvgs&feature=related

Satellite Navigation's been helpful in most instances and recently, I read that satellite imagery has done wonders to disaster relief, so perhaps improvements in the technology behind such will be crucial to emergency response.

But how much you're going to shell out, would be another story.

Hey thanks, I checked out NewSat, pretty interesting but looks quite expensive.

Advertisement