Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suir Road Luas Stop

Options
  • 10-08-2011 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys, I'm sure questions like this have been asked before but here goes....

What is the area around the Suir Road luas stop like??
    I'm moving to Dublin and more than likely gonna live in the Kilmainham/SCR area. I need to be close to the Luas for work. Just wondering what this area is like safety wise. I've heard some areas on the red line are a little more 'interesting' than others, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this part of Dublin.
    Also is there many shops, pubs, gyms etc in the area too.

Any info would be great! Cheers.

Yours sincerely,

Naive Country Boy....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We live about 300m from the Suir Road stop (Inchicore side) Love living in the area. Near town, things to do, near Luas, bus, decent shops, few nice pubs, great Italian ressie, gym nearby (I usually just run on the canal) handy for M50/N4/N7, and as a girl I have no issue walking around alone at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I live just around the corner on the SCR - really like the area and very close to town. No complaints really.

Shops wise if you have a car theres a Tesco in Crumlin and a small one in Inchicore & Dolphins Barn. Theres also the Superquinn down at Heuston SQ and theres a Lidl on Cork St also. The Eurospar on the SCR is pretty handy but expensive for beers etc usually!

Pub wise theres The Royal Oak and the Patriot. I drink in town so cant say much about either although mates have found the Royal Oak to be a little bit territorial and were made not to feel welcome there. Its grand for a pint though.

Theres a gym in the Hilton Hotel - dont use it so cant really comment on it and not sure if there are others nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭lc180

Sound great! exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks for the info.

One other quick question : how much would a taxi into city centre cost on a night out.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Always seemed a nice area. Some friends used to live in the gated apartments right beside the track and they never complained. No idea about the more open areas, but the area in general gives a good vibe.

lc180 wrote: »
    Sound great! exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks for the info.

One other quick question : how much would a taxi into city centre cost on a night out.

Thanks again!

About 8 eur I'd say. TBH the buses and luas are so handy, you really don't need to use them. The buses have real time departures, so you're not waiting around - http://rtpi.ie/. If the weather is nice, we'd walk in - only about 30 mins. Or cycle in 10.

• Advertisement

I don't drive so I will be walking and getting public transport everywhere. I was just wondering about taxis incase I need one really late at nite, I don't want to live somewhere that will cost me 20euro a pop to get home!

Thanks for the link also, I didn't know Dublin bus had a real time system :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Grand around there. I know a few people that live there and they like it.

Avoid the Marble Arch pub just up from it though. Bit of a kip. No need for it anyway being so close to town. The Royal Oak is the nearest decent pub and it is about 10-15 minutes walk. The Gate isn't bad either which is on the Crumlin Road.

There is a Dunnes and Tesco in the Crumlin Shopping centre (which is about 15 minutes walk as well) as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

its a grand area, either side drimnagh or kilmainham / inchicore. royal oak is a good pub (not many locals in it though). marble arch is ok - bar is v clannish but lounge is grand - bordering on rough!

nice park at the GAA and Brickfield, good green grocers and butchers in drimnagh and bulfin...all in all a good ole spot

lc180 wrote: »
    I don't drive so I will be walking and getting public transport everywhere. I was just wondering about taxis incase I need one really late at nite, I don't want to live somewhere that will cost me 20euro a pop to get home!

Thanks for the link also, I didn't know Dublin bus had a real time system :)

You'd be mad to drive into town from there - would take you at least twice as long as any public transport option! Really no hassle getting luas/bus/walking/cycling well into the wee hours. I just only take a taxi if I'm feeling lazy/full/it's raining!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

olaola wrote: »
    great Italian ressie

Oooooh, what's that now? I don't live too far from there and I've been trying to find a nice local Italian place for a while now.

• Advertisement

cosmic wrote: »
    great Italian ressie

Oooooh, what's that now? I don't live too far from there and I've been trying to find a nice local Italian place for a while now.

It's in inchicore village owned by that great Italian mick Wallace. Good spot tho

Just beside the Black Horse - Enoteca Torino. They do pizza too - which is recent. Great wine selection. Nice local spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Just beside the Black Horse - Enoteca Torino. They do pizza too - which is recent. Great wine selection. Nice local spot.

Oh great, thanks! :)

Black lion not horse!

Only drawback is that the place is tiny.

ciaran_h wrote: »
    Black lion not horse!

Oh Gawd, yeah! Sorry - prob best to keep clear of the Black Horse *ahem*

stovelid wrote: »
    Only drawback is that the place is tiny.

They've a room out the back too - sits about another 30.

They've a room out the back too - sits about another 30.

Is that recent? Haven't been in there for quite a while.

Lovely spot.

stovelid wrote: »
    Is that recent? Haven't been in there for quite a while.

Lovely spot.

I'd say at least 2 years, if not more!

FYI.....

I moved into my new flat last week,in the suir road/ SCR area.
    Thanks for all the info, loving the location and the nice vibe the area has.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just watch around Suir Rd Luas, not sure what it's like these days but 2 years ago me and my mate got jumped by about 12 lads, they seemed to be waiting around for someone so keep your eyes open.

Advertisement