Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a 1st dog used to the 2nd dog

Options
  • 09-08-2011 10:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi sorry if this has been covered a few times but we're really looking for some advice!
    We have a jack russell cross bitch for about 6 years now, and we got her from the pound when she was around 15months where she is a total house dog and has probably been "babied" too much for her own good.
    A woman we know has taken in a 3/4yr old cocker spaniel bitch from an elderly woman who couldnt look after her, but neither can this woman so we offered to take her in, provided the 2 dogs get along.
    But tbh its not going very well, we brought them for a walk both on and off the lead on neutral territory for the first time and they totally ignored each other, they honestly didnt acknowledge each other. Same happened today, but then we left them off the lead in an enclosed area, where the jack russel eventually had a few snarls at the cocker spaniel, before chasing her, but the she'd give up for a good while and all was well.
    But then we also brought them both home for the first time today for a few hours in the garden and the Jack Russell wouldnt leave her alone at all. She was barking and growling and chasing, and the cocker spaniel started to try and bite her then and we were worried the jack russell would get hurt as she is much smaller.

Is there anyway we can get them to accept each other better? I really think its the 1st dog is the problem as she never got on great with other dogs and shes acting quite territorial iswell..
    Anyone have any suggestions for what we could do? I understand this is a time consuming thing and Im not looking for a quick fix, I just want to give them every chance to get on with each other before having to reject the spaniel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭concur4u?

op its something refered to as the napolion complex with jrts google it and a few jrt sites for training advice there penlty of info about on it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

In my experience, when it comes to terriers, Cockers, and some other types of dogs, it can be extremely difficult to get two females to get along together. Terriers tend to be solo artists. Cockers perhaps less so, but for a gundog breed I find them remarkably, well, terrier-ish!
    Without doubt, in a two-dog household with the more "dog-hot" breeds/types, the best combination is male-female, followed by male-male (as long as they are the "right" dogs), and the most potentially fiery combination is female-female.
    So you've got a difficult combination here in that you've two females, of breeds that tend not to be wonderful at living with other dogs. Many get on fine outside the home, but asking them to live together is an entirely different story. There are always exceptions, but the most likely combo to cause trouble by fighting are two female terriers, or breeds with a terrier attitude!
    In addition, your JRT is known not to be mad about other dogs. To be honest, I still have regrets about "forcing" my terrier to accept another dog in the house years ago. They tolerate each other fine, but he'd have been far, far happier being an only dog. I feel that it may be unfair to foist another on such a dog.
    That's not to say it's impossible to succeed, but you've got your work cut out and no great guarantee of success in the end.
    I'd strongly, strongly suggest, as one who has had to introduce many foster-dogs to a home with an unwelcoming terrier, that you get a crate for the Cocker, and use it extensively until you start to get more acceptance from the terrier. This way, the dogs can be kept together but safely apart.. if you find you have to keep separating them, it means you have to keep reintroducing them, and it is the reintroduction that is most fraught. The crate prevents you having to do this. Eventually, you'd hope they will just get used to each other.
    Instead of one long walk, bring them out for several shorter walks, as walking is a sociable activity for dogs, where they share information about interesting smells etc.
    Teach the JRT to sit and wait while you pet the Cocker, then immediately return to the JRT to give her attention. Gradually build up the amount of attention you can give the Cocker whilst the JRT learns to wait with some level of patience;)
    For now, pick up toys or any other potential flashpoints, and keep both dogs on lead whilst they eat their meals so they can't annoy each other.
    Good luck with this, I don't envy you!

Advertisement