Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Experience with Mazda 3?

Options
  • 09-08-2011 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a 2005 1.6 petrol Mazda 3. Has anyone here have any experience with it?

I am torn between two models. There's one I'm looking at that is, I assume, the basic model. It has about 50000 miles, in great condition and looking for €5000. The other one is 80000 miles, think it may be the touring model, not sure (what is the difference?) and asking for €5500. Is it worth paying an extra €500 for the other model but with more mileage?

Are there any problems or issues I should be wary of with the Mazda 3? What is the fuel consumption like? Any experiences with the car would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

My parents have a 2007 Mazda 3. It's the "Touring" version I think! It's a 1.6 petrol. We got it in 2008, it had been a demo model. There's over 100k miles on it now and it's running perfect, never ever gave a bit of trouble! :D It's lovely to drive, real nippy and the extra's like alloys make it a lovely classy looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Comfort is the base model of the range. It comes with front electric windows, heated mirrors, remote locking and cd.
    • Touring adds rear electric windows, air conditioning and multifunction steering wheel.
    • Sport Touring adds alloy wheels, front fog lights and rear boot spoiler.
    I think the Touring with 81k miles is a bit expensive. I reckon this could be bought for €5k, looks clean and has lower miles:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201130203646140

• Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The base model is a depressing place to be, not even the knight rider radio lifts the mood
    Hold out for a lower mileage touring, and consider the 1.6 petrol

Alternatively, a Corolla Luna would be a good choice. The last hurrah 06 spec is actually well equipped and the 1.4 is a lot nippier than the one in the Mazda

Kia cee'd also worth a shot.

All 3 cars are similar in that they're worthy, reliable, and have slightly dodgy interiors,

Of the 3 the Toyota is the best all rounder, but probably most expensive. I know we bought an ex rental base model Mazda3 for absolutely silly money in 08 and that they lag behind the focus/golf/corolla second hand. Because of this you should holdout for a nicely specced model if you go mazda. Personally I Think the saloon is way better looking than the awkward hatchback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the Touring with 81k miles is a bit expensive. I reckon this could be bought for €5k, looks clean and has lower miles:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201130203646140
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Personally I Think the saloon is way better looking than the awkward hatchback

Yes I would agree. I do not like the hatch at all.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    The base model is a depressing place to be, not even the knight rider radio lifts the mood

Well the only difference between the base and the touring is the rear electric windows and A/C really, its not all that bad, is it? I just thought the €5k was a good deal or is that the standard price for a base model 05 Mazda 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm in a 1.4 Touring, have almost 90k on the clock and no issues to date. Unfair to compare it like-for-like given that the engine size is different, but my fuel economy stats are here: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/snappiet/3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,429 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Doesn't the touring also have leather wheel, remote radio, aircon and nicer seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Might not bother the OP but the hatchbacks are easier to sell on than the saloons. Probably to do with the fact the saloon wasn't available in 1.4 litre form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Great car. I see a few of them with subtle bodykits and they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Great car. I see a few of them with subtle bodykits and they look great.

That's the Mazda "Katana" bodykit you're talking about ;)

The 3's with that kit also have the 2 slat grille as in the link that bazz posted.

Still torn. Is it worth an extra €500 for a car with 30k extra miles but it is the touring model (I believe)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

It depends on your own personal preference. If you want to get the lower spec one you may ask yourself sometime in the future "why didn't I buy the other one" when it comes to wanting the things it has.

If I were you, I'd go for the higher spec. Milage isn't really a concern with these cars. For €500 it's not that big a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

great car, parents have one new since 2007, no hassle motoring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The OH has a 2007 1.4 hatchback version for about 2years now.
    Never had a day's trouble - boot is suprisingly roomy and quite nippy for city centre driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

my sister is driving my old '05 1.4 hatch, never a bother with it. they're rock solid cars. the 1.4 is a little underpowered, I imagine the 1.6 petrol is lovely.
    I switched to a 1.6 diesel saloon and I love it.

It depends on your own personal preference. If you want to get the lower spec one you may ask yourself sometime in the future "why didn't I buy the other one" when it comes to wanting the things it has.

If I were you, I'd go for the higher spec. Milage isn't really a concern with these cars. For €500 it's not that big a gamble.

I've heard they are reliable alright. Are there any common problems after a certain number of miles? Parts need replacing etc?

Would you consider 80000 miles high for an '05 car?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Geets

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Bulletproof cars, we have over 25k in our race school ones and they haven't a single rattle. The 1.6 pulls well and its its got plenty of room.

Atleast, it does until you stick a roll cage into it :D Have to agree though, great cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Bulletproof cars, we have over 25k in our race school ones and they haven't a single rattle. The 1.6 pulls well and its its got plenty of room.

I did the basic race school course, and was much more impressed with these than the Formula Sheane (sp?) single-seaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Some people prefer saloons that single seaters its rare but I do get that feedback. Not everybody likes that open cockpit enviroment and prefer the feeling of being surrounded by a cabin.

PS challengemaster you would be suprised at how many instructors you can fit in the back of a Mazda Saloon :)

Now you just have to prove it on Sunady... I'll bring my camera to video it :D

Somewhat off topic - What the hell were those blue/yellow two-seater open cabin racecars that mondello had on display at Japfest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Some people prefer saloons that single seaters its rare but I do get that feedback. Not everybody likes that open cockpit enviroment and prefer the feeling of being surrounded by a cabin.

I enjoyed the single seater too, but it was just as I expected beforehand - sharp acceleration, good cornering etc., but nothing very surprising. The Mazda on the other hand looked like an A-to-B mobile but was great fun to throw into corners, good level of grip, just more fun basically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

PS challengemaster you would be suprised at how many instructors you can fit in the back of a Mazda Saloon :)
    0_o

We probably shouldn't ask ... :pac:

Advertisement