Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivium - In Waves

Options
  • 09-08-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

I just bought a copy of Trivium's latest album In Waves today, just giving it a second listen now. I'm a little unsure what to make of it. It's kind of different from their other stuff, so I'd imagine I'll need to give it a few more listens. The new drummer seems to be very good and just as capable as Travis. I'm still unsure to why he left/was kicked out!

Anyone else get a copy of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I got it and I love it. Don't skip a single song. Its at least Trivium's most complete album and my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gave it a listen there... Bit more streamlined than Shogun but good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Actually I heard one of the tracks on kerrang (when flicking through, I dont watch it regularly lol) and it sounded good.

Must pick this up so, didnt know it was out already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Listening to this for the third time now and I love it. Agree its a lot more streamlined but this is a damn good album.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

After countless listens, I've come to think that 'In Waves' is not like any other Trivium albums. It is more melodic and I think the songs are more structured, it's not as thrashy as some of their works like Embers to Inferno or Ascendancy.

It gets a thumbs up from me anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Dunno where i'd rank it among their albums just yet, havent heard it enough times, I'd probably take Ascendancy and Shogun over it though being honest

Another quality offering by Trivium, like pretty much all of their albums bar The Crusade. I know they're a band everybody loves to hate but i've been a big fan since Ascendancy came out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

On my third listen and loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

In waves is great. Much much more toned down compared to Shogun, songs are generally a lot shorter. It's awesome, gets better with every listen.

Probably gonna be ages before they play Ireland again though with the defenders of the faith this year. Unless they do an Irish tour again during festival season.

They played In Waves, Built to fall and Black in last weekend in London and they all sounded great live.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Been listening to it for a few weeks now and it's a real grower. "Caustic are the the Ties that Bind" is my current favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Does it bear any resemblance to Ascendency? If not I'm just not interested. That's one of my favourite albums ever and everything else they've done has been mediocre at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Does it bear any resemblance to Ascendency? I'm not I'm just not interested. That's one of my favourite albums ever and everything else they've done has been mediocre at the best of times.

It has some moments. Thats my favourite album by Trivium.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭drumlover22

All the songs sound a lot better structure wise, songs are alot shorter than Shogun, and lighter IMO, but I think it's a really good album. I really like 'A Grey so Dark'. Brilliant album.

Great stuff, I'll have to give it a listen so!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got a hold of this album over the weekend and having listened to it from start to finish I must say I'm not that impressed. Overall the songs are more melodic that a lot of their past work but the problem is that the songs now tend to sound wussy. The clean vocals remind me of recent Linkin Park efforts and while there's no denying the capabilities of the guitarists, nothing jumped out and grabbed me from that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Malice wrote: »
    I got a hold of this album over the weekend and having listened to it from start to finish I must say I'm not that impressed. Overall the songs are more melodic that a lot of their past work but the problem is that the songs now tend to sound wussy. The clean vocals remind me of recent Linkin Park efforts and while there's no denying the capabilities of the guitarists, nothing jumped out and grabbed me from that side of things.

I would agree it is a lot lighter than their previous material. The guitar parts aren't as mental as they used to be, but I'm sure their next album will probably be a bit mor intense guitar wise.

One thing I did notice is that Nick is a very capable drummer and although I've heard he goes's a bit mad live, I think he incorporates some great fills and beats into this album. I think it's wierd how he puts really fast bassdrum gallops behind very melodic guitar parts. I just think it works, Maybe it's because i'm a drummer and Im concentrating on the drums rather than the softer guitar parts that most people are probably listening to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Malice wrote: »

This was kind of my first instinct, but I remember it was the same with Shogun, and when I listened to Ascendancy the first time I didn't get what the hype was about.

I think with every single Trivium album it's taken me lots of listens to get it, or begin to remember the hooks. And properly like it really. More so with Trivium than any band I can think of in fact.

Picked it up in the Sound Cellar earlier. Sweet holy Jesus it's good to have Trivium back :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

My first exposure to Trivium was that storming set they did first thing Saturday morning at Download 2005. It was quite an experience to be sitting bleary-eyed in my tent wondering what the hell I was hearing. Rocking out at 11AM at a festival is not something I make a habit of but I couldn't avoid it that day!
    I also went to see them I think the following year in The Ambassador in Dublin and it was that gig that made me realise what arrogant sods they were. They did very little interaction with the crowd, just played through their songs by the book. On at least two occasions the guitarists decided to have a little impromptu jam session with themselves. While some of the crowd lapped it up I was far from impressed. Aimless widdly widdly guitar **** bores me to tears at the best of times. Maybe if it was Eric Clapton playing off against Slash I'd let it slide :).

Anyway, I have listened to their subsequent releases but none of them have matched Ascendancy for me. They seem to be a band who peaked too soon.

Advertisement