Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery Charging

Options
  • 09-08-2011 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Is there any informed opinion on charging batteries?.
    I run two eGo 1000mAh batteries and charge ad hoc a bit like a mobile phone, is there any advantage to running it out to the end and recharging or is that detrimental to battery life?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I wasn't aware of any issue with letting them run out. I normally do and the eGo battery keeps the same voltage from start to finish anyway. The only problem I've come across with lithium batteries is they die quicker if they aren't used.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

I think it's not advisable to fully drain and charge your battery regularly. You were supposed to do that with the old nickel ones (something to do with memory they had inside them) but lithium batteries are different so like your phone it's a good idea to put it on charge whenever you can.

If you don't want to worry about batteries and spend time in front of the computer you could do worse than get a passthrough. I picked up one of Garry Dibley's mods from Liberty Flights for 20 Euro. You can plug it into your laptop, desktop or wall plug if it has a usb slot and you get 5 volt vaping, loads of vapour and throat hit. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

I have been vaping for over six months using the ego batteries that came with my starter kit. I use them until they are done then charge them fully. Still working six months later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aw hell.. ive been letting them run completely out before I recharge them

silly me, stuck in 1995

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The thing is the eGo probably runs out before it has really run out if you know what I mean what with sticking to a fixed voltage. Maybe not. I have 2 of Gary's usb thingamybobs but I am not sure of them because a usb port at standard can only give you 500mA so how it's gives you 5V I don't know. A 510 requires at least 2000mA as far as I know so I'm concerned it's not ideal for the attys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

I don't know either. The 5v batteries I use on the Don are 600Ma and the wall plug I use says 5v and 500Ma. This from the comments on the LF site:

"Excellent passthrough. Combine with wall socket adaptor or powered USB hub for true 5V vaping. Will not give 5V output when connected to a PC or Laptop"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I duno much about volts an stuff but my ipod wont charge on the usb ports of my pc unless it got one of thoes powered usb cables. Will charge on the xbox tho' oh an won't charge on the wall socket usb thing ither.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Bubba9 wrote: »
    I don't know either. The 5v batteries I use on the Don are 600Ma and the wall plug I use says 5v and 500Ma. This from the comments on the LF site:

"Excellent passthrough. Combine with wall socket adaptor or powered USB hub for true 5V vaping. Will not give 5V output when connected to a PC or Laptop"

I wonder if that applies to high power USB ports, as found on recent Mac laptops and desktops.

Advertisement