Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product warranty after replacement

Options
  • 09-08-2011 6:01pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a quick question.

If a product comes with a 4 year warranty and it is replaced under that 4 year warranty, say after 2 years it has to be replaced, does the replacement device get a further 4 year warranty? Or does the initial warranty continue for a further 2 years?

This is regarding an Insulin Pump btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

It really varies from product to product and manufacturer to manufacturer (even sometimes different products by the same manufacturer). The best way to tell is to check the warranty text of the product in question.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It really varies from product to product and manufacturer to manufacturer (even sometimes different products by the same manufacturer). The best way to tell is to check the warranty text of the product in question.

Right, so it's not something that would be covered under consumer law then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Totally separate, if your item had no 4 year warranty you could still in theory get 2 replacements within maybe 5 years for some products.

Under consumer law its up to the retailer to ensure you get the use of product you paid for.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right, grand so. I've been dealing with my Diabetes consultant and i was just curious.

I believe the pump cost in and around €5,000 5 years ago(It comes with a 4 year warranty). It's just mad that now that the second one has failed for the same reason i'm stuck.

Anyway, hopefully this will get sorted sooner rather than later!

Cheers guys,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Normally, the warranty on a replacement is from the original purchase date, not the replacement date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

whiterebel wrote: »
    Normally, the warranty on a replacement is from the original purchase date, not the replacement date.

I agree, including on the use of the qualifier "normally".
    Right, grand so. I've been dealing with my Diabetes consultant and i was just curious.

I believe the pump cost in and around €5,000 5 years ago(It comes with a 4 year warranty). It's just mad that now that the second one has failed for the same reason i'm stuck.

It sounds as if you are talking about an expensive piece of medical equipment. It might be that your rights under consumer law are greater than the manufacturer's warranty. If it is the sort of equipment that should be expected to give a lifetime's service, then failure within 5 years or so might be considered unsatisfactory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I agree, including on the use of the qualifier "normally".

It sounds as if you are talking about an expensive piece of medical equipment. It might be that your rights under consumer law are greater than the manufacturer's warranty. If it is the sort of equipment that should be expected to give a lifetime's service, then failure within 5 years or so might be considered unsatisfactory.

Evertyhing to do with this post is correct.
    It all depends on whether or not 5 years is a 'reasonable' amount of time you got from the object. Judging that it cost 5000,the answer is probably a no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭crystallove

In my oponion, after one repalcement, it is regarded as new products, so it has a new warranty,so you have the rights...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In my oponion, after one repalcement, it is regarded as new products, so it has a new warranty,so you have the rights...
    Your oppinion how ever has nothing to do with how the law is written...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I had a motherboard repaired by dell 8 months into a 1 year warranty and they gave me a new 6 month warranty on the part from the replacement date. So most of the PC had 4 months left but the motherboard had a further 2 month warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I had a motherboard repaired by dell 8 months into a 1 year warranty and they gave me a new 6 month warranty on the part from the replacement date. So most of the PC had 4 months left but the motherboard had a further 2 month warranty.
    Which once again has nothing to do with how the law is written; Dell could have offered you a gazillion year warranty on the spare part and that still has nothing to do with what the law specifies (that all durations are taken from the original purchase date and all fixes need to be permanent).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Nody wrote: »
    Which once again has nothing to do with how the law is written; Dell could have offered you a gazillion year warranty on the spare part and that still has nothing to do with what the law specifies (that all durations are taken from the original purchase date and all fixes need to be permanent).
    I dont think I said it did Nody. I was just letting the OP know what happened to me. Plus permanent doesn't take into account natural wear and tear. In most cases even after warranty's have expired there may still be protection offered under fair and reasonable. As in is it fair and reasonable to expect a laptop to last only one year or not? I would suspect not. So each case needs to be looked at individually.

Advertisement