Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powdery mildew on peas

Options
  • 09-08-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I noticed my pea plants had gone pale - it appears to be powdery mildew and has affected all of the foliage.

Should the entire crop be harvested and the foliage be disposed of or is it alright to leave them in-situ and harvest when needed?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hey there,Im no expert but my peas leaves have gone pale also but I have a great crop.This is my second year growing them and I think its normal enough.I would harvest them as along as thery're ready.If you leave them too long they lose they're lovely sweetness and become quite bland to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭brian_t

Some gardeners recommend burning or burying diseased foliage after harvest to prevent carry-over to the next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've finished harvesting peas. I also have powdery white on leaves. The few pods left on the plants don't look very healthy and you're right, the last few peas I tasted had lost their sweetness. I'm pulling up the plants this week. Disappointing but maybe I did something wrong. I know that I had too many plants at each cane and although I tied them up at least three times, they got too heavy and pulled each other down again. I'm putting it down to experience and a lesson learned. Next time only two plants per cane instead of the four I planted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I've finished harvesting peas. I also have powdery white on leaves. The few pods left on the plants don't look very healthy and you're right, the last few peas I tasted had lost their sweetness. I'm pulling up the plants this week. Disappointing but maybe I did something wrong. I know that I had too many plants at each cane and although I tied them up at least three times, they got too heavy and pulled each other down again. I'm putting it down to experience and a lesson learned. Next time only two plants per cane instead of the four I planted!

I have the same problem & as a first time grower I was unsure as to what to do.

Was going to pull them up but in the last few days I've noticed new flowers & shoots growing on them.

How many crops can one expect from a Pea plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Yeah,dont pull them up just yet,you may get some more peas as long as they flower again.Last year I got a secondary crop albeit to a lesser extent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement