Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've decided to get a PSP...

Options
  • 09-08-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be spending a couple (possibly many) weeks in hospital so I'm looking for recommendations on what games I should pick up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I enjoyed monster hunter on the psp and aswell there are plenty of final fantasy games for the psp these days! you can download some from the psn store.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Monster Hunter isn't for everyone, I absolutely detest it so be wary. I'd recommend Jeanne D'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, Ys 1 and 2 chronicles, Ys Oath in Felghana, Ys Seven, Brave Story, Breath of Fire 3, Tales of Eternia, Persona, Persona 3 Portable, Valkyrie Profile, Kingdom Hearts,.

If you have to buy one it would be Persona 3 Portable for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Persona 3 portable would be a good one to have in terms of sheer game length and content. The disgaea games are very content heavy as well though they are srpg's like Final fantasy tactics. Since the psp has a fairly good gba emulator you should looking into playing a few on them. Take up a small amount of space. Get summon night: swordcraft story 1 & 2 (pick pratty and sugar as your characters in the first one.), mother 3 and mario & luigi: superstar saga.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Persona 3 Portable and Disgaea get my backing.
    I'd recommend Valkyria Chronicles 2 as well even if you haven't played the first, it only really has some cameo appearances from old characters.

I'm behind in regards to the PSP. I still need to pick up most games in Retrogamer's list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

CFW it (very easily done these days) and burn some of your old PS1 games to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm currently hooked on Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy, but I suspect much of its charm relies on familiarity with FF characters. It plays well and there's loads of content though! Duodecim actually contains an enhanced version of the first game too.

Looking beyond RPGs; Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker is brilliant, a very ambitious handheld title. The same can be said for the two God of War titles, Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

It really depends on what types of games you like most.

Standard rpg: Persona 3 portable
    Action rpg: Final Fantasy Crisis Core
    Strategy rpg: Jeanne D'arc, Tactics Ogre
    Action: God of War, Grand Theft Auto
    Indie: loco roco, patapon

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

animaX wrote: »
    It really depends on what types of games you like most.

Standard rpg: Persona 3 portable
    Action rpg: Final Fantasy Crisis Core
    Strategy rpg: Jeanne D'arc, Tactics Ogre
    Action: God of War, Grand Theft Auto
    Indie: loco roco, patapon

Yeah, that's part of my issue, I've never been much of a console gamer, more of a strategy/rpg on the PC gamer along with pen and paper tactical RPGs. That's why I'm leaning towards the like of Tactics Ogre initially.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,880 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You really can't go wrong with tactics ogre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Being a Nippon Ichi fanboy, highly recommend Disgaea 1 and 2.
    And Phantom Brave.
    And ZHP.
    And Prinny: Can I really be the hero?

Basically their whole catalogue! The Disgaea games first though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You really can't go wrong with tactics ogre.

Seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Tactics Ogre should be your best bet if you like tactical rpgs. Also FF: Tactics is great too, there's also Valkyra Chronicles.

For action RPGS I'd go for FF Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep.

The Third Birthday is also meant to be a very good blend between shooter and rpg.

If you're looking to waste a lot of time and know at least a few Final Fantasy characters i'd go for Dissidia Duodecim, it's great fun and an interesting take on a fighting game.

if you want some old school jrpg, though, i'd suggest downloading final fantasy and final fantasy 2 from the playstation store

• Registered Users Posts: 26,265 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MGS Peace Walker
    KH: Birth by Sleep
    Jeanne D'Arc

Those three are absolutely essential in my opinion.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is also quite good (if long).

Advertisement