Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best console option for JRPGs?

Options
  • 09-08-2011 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Have an XBox 360 but not using it much. But I would be interested in some time sink games for various reasons and am wondering if a PS3 or a DX might be an idea.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Best two JRPG consoles at the moment are the DS and PSP. Other than the fantastic Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 there's actually more good JRPGs on the 360 than PS3 and as you can tell it's slim pickings. PSP and DS are swimming in superb JRPG goodness such as Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest 4,5,6 and 9, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, the three Ys games, Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, Mario and Luigi, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Persona 3 Portable, etc. Get yourself both of this consoles and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Best two JRPG consoles at the moment are the DS and PSP. Other than the fantastic Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 there's actually more good JRPGs on the 360 than PS3 and as you can tell it's slim pickings. PSP and DS are swimming in superb JRPG goodness such as Radiant Historia, Dragon Quest 4,5,6 and 9, Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne D'Arc, the three Ys games, Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky, Mario and Luigi, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Persona 3 Portable, etc. Get yourself both of this consoles and enjoy!

Cheers. Got an extended trip to hospital coming up and was hoping you'd suggest some portables for choice. :D

Actually which would you recommend, a PSP or a DS? My wife would kill me if I got both, though my 5 year old would be very happy with me... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,996 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's really just pick the one you prefer. Both consoles are fantastic for RPGs and you can't really go wrong with either of them. It's a sophies choice question for me :)

You're no use. :p

• Advertisement

Get them both, don't tell the wife :)

Get them both, don't tell the wife :)

Unfortunately she used to be a gamer, so she'd spot it fairly quickly. That and my son would notice very fast and start demanding a chance to play on the one I wasn't using etc.

I'm playing this off as "Look, even if I get sick of it and don't use it, the kids will get years out of it..."

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I would recommend getting a PSP if you had to choose. The fact that Persona 3 is available on PSP will be enough to keep you going for a loooooong time.

One of my most favourite RPGs to date.

EDIT: I've just read your psp thread :S nevermind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

If you can get a 3DS tomorrow, the price will be cut to around 169euro which means it'll cost the same as a DSi. There's not a lot of games out yet but Zelda should deffinately be worth a look plus some greats games such as Kingdom Hearts or an entry from the Tales Of series are coming up. Also 3DS plays all the DS games so you've got a huge library of games there already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

They are region locked though, so you can't play some DS games that didn't come out over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Naphiel wrote: »
    They are region locked though, so you can't play some DS games that didn't come out over here.

The region lock only applies to dsi and 3ds games. Just make sure any ds games you import don't have any dsi enabled features.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Get urself a psp,fairly cheap now days

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RyDar

Here's the best one:
    101488.jpg

Back on topic, has to be the psp hands down, if for nothing else than it's ability to play ps1 games flawlessly, some of the greatest jrpg's on there *cough*ffvii*cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 HarbinSnowfall

nesf wrote: »
    Have an XBox 360 but not using it much.
    I hope you, having said this, have already played the heck out of Tales of Vesperia.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Breloom

The xbox has plenty of choice for JRPGs! There are the obvious choices, i.e. Final Fantasy XIII, but there are also some excellent others. I've played the **** out of Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean IV, Eternal Sonata, and Enchanted Arms! There's also games like The Last Remnant, Infinite Undiscovery, and of course, Tales of Vesperia.

I hope you, having said this, have already played the heck out of Tales of Vesperia.

Couldn't find it in physical stores, have Enchanted Arms to play through first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What's the best RPG available for download for PS3 for under €15?

nesf wrote: »
    Couldn't find it in physical stores, have Enchanted Arms to play through first.

Enchanted Arms isn't that great to be honest. The battle system is pretty nice but from the technical point of view the game is a mess (at least my PS3 port of the game was).
    What's the best RPG available for download for PS3 for under €15?

Pretty much any Final Fantasy from the PSOne Classics. I'd get FF 7 and Vagrant Story since that's only aroun 4.50 so that'll give you a grand total of 14.50 which is a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Mario007 wrote: »
    Pretty much any Final Fantasy from the PSOne Classics. I'd get FF 7 and Vagrant Story since that's only aroun 4.50 so that'll give you a grand total of 14.50 which is a steal.

Sorry, non PS1 games. I get them from the US store instead, so I can play them at the proper speed.

Valkyria chronicles should be cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What would peoples' top recommendations for JRPGs on the 360?

Tales of Vesperia seems to be high on the list?

Tales of Vesperia is getting very expensive though. Lost Odyssey is also great but takes a while to get going. Eternal Sonata was great from what I played. Other than that the rest are a bit crap.

Not actually an jrpg but Nier is good as well. It can scratch the same itch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Tales of Vesperia is on Xbox live. It is well cheaper than the £50+ options you get on amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

PS3 is your best bet going forward, Disgaea 4, Atelier Totori and Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny are all out next month, Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni coming in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Sieghardt wrote: »
    PS3 is your best bet going forward, Disgaea 4, Atelier Totori and Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny are all out next month, Tales of Graces F, Tales of Xillia, Ni No Kuni coming in a while

Namco are known for their trolling. Don't be surprised if it's not released over here.

Yup. There's two teams making Tales games, the original team and a new team. Namco have a history of releasing only the new teams games which are **** and not releasing the orignal teams games in the west (those guys are responsible for the good stuff like Vesperia and Symphonia).

Yup. There's two teams making Tales games, the original team and a new team. Namco have a history of releasing only the new teams games which are **** and not releasing the orignal teams games in the west (those guys are responsible for the good stuff like Vesperia and Symphonia).

Apparently Tales of Graces F is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Graces has a great battle system and stuff but the story and characters are pretty weak.
    I'm pretty sure Xillia will get released in the west, , it's the same pattern they followed the last 2 gens

• Advertisement

Can someone tell me more about the Tales of series? I've never head a chance to play one and having both a 3DS and PS3 I'm thinking of giving it a shot but I know next to nothing about the series besides for internet praise.

Advertisement