Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

importance of a snorkel

Options
  • 09-08-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭

I'm going on holidays to Sri Lanka in a weeks time & am planning two camping trips to Oman shortly after. I hope to do a fair bit of snorkeling in both locations - in Sri Lanka there are giant turtles and Oman has lots of cool stuff too. After this I plan to do a padi course.

My question is, how important is a snorkel? I have bought a couple in the past (on holidays) and they seem to leak and don't clear out water very easily. I've bought an aqualung mask and the best snorkel I can find is an aqualung buren. Any recommendations? Has anyone used the buren before? I'm genuinely interested in getting some half decent kit and trying to get use out of it...

Next step, flippers...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Bluefoam wrote: »

Next step, flippers....

Fins my child, fins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 vathar

Well, with the miracles of medicine these days, who knows? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Who said anything about fins, I want flippers!

Anyway, my question has been ignored, so I'll just get the one with the best colour...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

See this thread, for a little info on snorkels;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67647263

See this thread, for a little info on snorkels;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67647263

• Advertisement

I have a snorkel and mask now. I'm not gonna drag a pair of flippers on holidays with me, so I'll either pick them up while I'm away or when I get back.

What do people think of the hard fins, with the hinged bit - are the standard soft rubber ones better?

I'm begining to think this isn't the most active forum on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

Nope it ain't, wish it were. But I talk to myself enough as it is.

It ebbs and flows a bit!

Regarding your fin question:
    IMO, the fins with hinges and adjustable tensioning springs are a gimmick. Beyond that, the choice is basically between split fins and plain ordinary fins.
    I prefer plain fins, and use a pair of Aqualung Blades, which some of my buddies call planks. Some of them use split fins, which are supposed to cause less fatigue/cramps. However, I prefer to actually get some propulsion from my "planks", and I don't feel like I get enough from split fins.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

dude if your gonna do more snorkelling than scuba go for long fins, soft blade and closed heel. Yu wont look back

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback guys. I presume the closed heal is size specific? I reckon I'll go for 'planks' with a closed heal, if I can get them - will check out the long ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I got a pair of "planks" after I did my padi course in Dun Laoghaire. When I went on Holidays to Cyprus, to save weight, I left them at home but brought my mask and snorkel deciding to buy a cheap closed foot set while out there and leave them at the hotel when coming home. The first ones I found were a pair of closed foot "splits" at a dive shop in aiga napa and they were absolutely brilliant. No more cramps or sore ankles!!

I actually left a couple of towels behind* in order to bring home the splits, only problem is that I cant wear boots with them and the water has been fairly cold this year.

* The towels I left behind actually belonged to the hotel anyway so no great loss really

Re Fins:
    If you're using them in Ireland, then a pair of fins that can be worn over wetsuit boots are a must!
    The water here is simply too cold to use full foot/slipper fins.

I'll be using them mostly in the Middle East. Water is warm at the moment, no wet suit needed at the moment...

Now looking into doing my padi in Sri Lanka ... If I can get it to work out

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

guys closed heel fins are fine here but instead of booties you use neoprene socks. I usually use 3mm open cell on the inside I dont dive too much during winter but I would upgrade to 5mm is I was. 3mm open cell is still good for 45mins in winter 4hours in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭howtomake

guys closed heel fins are fine here but instead of booties you use neoprene socks. I usually use 3mm open cell on the inside I dont dive too much during winter but I would upgrade to 5mm is I was. 3mm open cell is still good for 45mins in winter 4hours in summer.
    I guess it depends on how well your feet take the cold, I'm such a light weight I use the socks under my boots and they still get cold.

Just back from Sri Lanka, where I completed my OW PADI. I was the only student during the week so I got private tuition from an independent instructor, who was excellent, thanks Indika. Because of the intensive nature of the course I managed to do allot more actual diving. It was well worth the time and the location they work from at this time of year is really isolated, which was a great experience. Visibility wasn't huge, but I did get to swim with a giant turtle and see some cool stuff. Also, was able to dive without wetsuit as the water was nice and warm, although most others did wear some form of wetsuit...

Welcome to the club, BF.

Advertisement