Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical insurance claim refused - please HELP!

Options
  • 09-08-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

So I moved from Ireland to Vancouver and bought travel Insurance from an Irish company. I was born with Marfin Syndrome - there is a history of it in the family. It doesnt effect me though. I am not on medication or never had to get treated for it. When I was filling out the health form on line, it asked if I had any existing medical condition, I said NO because as I say, the marfin syndrome doesnt effect my day to day life.
    Anyways, while here in Vancouver, I was sent to hospital with food poisioning, and ran up a bill of approx EUR1500 in medical costs (Medical costs aere expensive here!!)
    The insurance company asked for my medical report, and the doctor here said that I had the marfins syndrome. Because of this loop hole, the insurance company arent paying out. Anyone with any advice please? I really cant afford this I know I should have told them - I am kicking myself but I really didnt think it would matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

i think as it's a pre existing condition (whether adversely affecting you or not) you should have listed it. I have hypercholesterolemia which doesn't affect me day to day but I have to declare it on life and health insurance as something which I have.

I'm not sure what you could do to be honest. Maybe appeal it to the insurance company and then the insurance ombudsman but I cant guarantee any success.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Most of the travel insurance policies available do not cover pre existing conditions or require client disclosure in advance of travel to allow certian conditions. Some plans do cover pre existing conditions but require one to have a private medical insurance plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

You didnt declare you had a pre existing condition so you are basically screwed.

Even though it doesnt effect you nor have you had any problems with it,its still there.

Health insurers are infinitely worse than car or home insurers for getting out of paying claims so I honestly believe you havent a leg to stand on Im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Being economical with the truth basically makes your contract null & void....

This is unfortunate as your claim is nothing to do with the marfans.... If it was directly related to marfans you could accept that they would not pay out but in this case it is a hard pill to swallow...

I deal with the big Irish medical insurance companies everyday and the one thing they all have in common is the desire and ability to dodge claims, they hide behind their terms and conditions...

You can and should appeal, saying that you were aware that Marfans was in the family but that you had no formal diagnosis of this condition (for example), also say that to date you have had no illness related to Marfans and do accept that going forward now, with a diagnosis of Marfans, you know that you can not claim for anything related to this condition. However, you do feel that you are entitled to cover for your recent hospital stay as this could have happened to a person with marfans or not and should be covered by the expensive policy you took out...

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭dave98

Thanks for the replies guys, Im gutted, finally managed to build some bit of savings over here and ill be handing it all out again. Im such an eejit. OS, thanks for that info, I will use that in my appeal - I appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 localtradeads

Denied insurance claims—even for care that seems obviously necessary—are, unfortunately, all too common occurrences. If your claim is denied, the first step is to contact your insurance company. While there is always the chance that the denial was an unfortunate and harmless misunderstanding, don’t get your

Advertisement